Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my CB400A given to me and both of the mufflers have the ends cut off them and gutted. they are fairly loud. I would like to get the trumpets that are left on there off and put on some mufflers. I have loosened the clamp and tried to remove them with no avail. so I came here to see if any one had any info on how to remove them. I have sprayed the joint with penetrant and tried using a strap wrench... heated them up by running the engine and still nothing. any other ideas would be appreciated.. btw I am new here and bike but have been building cars and the like for years.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Honestly, if you don’t need to keep them, I get a little brutal with old exhausts. The headers are sturdy pipes and won’t deform unless you whale on them directly. I’d take the pipes completely off the bike (from the heads), remove any fixing hardware, grab my 3 lb deadblow, and go to town until the sucker gives up the ghost. Smack the old mufflers around the joint between them and the header, try not to bend them in a way that makes your job harder.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
the 400a has an exhaust chamber that helps control the back pressure from the motor. The chamber is slotted where the muffler slides in . there should be a fiber gasket between the muffler and the chamber which is probably the problem. Take the clamp off try to open up the slots without damaging the chamber. if you can open them a little then you can move the muffler back and forth to remove it. If that doesnt work cut the muffler off flush with the chamber then cut the other part off from the inside. Try not to damage the chamber they are hard to find. Any 400a or 400t muffler is a bolt on .

Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts