Honda Twins banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started the bike, letting it warm up for a few minutes. Everything is good except no headlight. Next thing I know, it just dies. Nothing on. The main 15a fuse is blown. Pickup a few fuses, same thing happens. Starts up, everything works except the headlight & fuse blows again. I've changed out a few things since my son bought the bike. All lights are LED. Replaced regulator/rectifier with a kohler unit & when that died I put the Sparck moto unit on. Last time I rode the bike everything functioned. Battery shows 12.78 volts. Put 2 other H4 bulbs in, none of them worked. Any ideas?

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
Give me a call when at bike...540-525-5199....Steve

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Couldn't get into one part of the right control switch housing...stripped screw head. The starter button looked fine. No frayed wiring that I could see.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Steve, think I've got it sorted out. I don't think the right control switch is stock. The wires weren't routed internally through the handlebars & the end of the harness under the tank had several non-stock connections. Inside the control switch housing looked almost pristine...not what I'd expect on 44 year old hardware. Common motor sells a switch that is identical to what I have on the bike. I found two wires that were basically twist-tied together & wrapped with electrical tape. They were blue/brown & black/red. Schematic shows both of these go to the headlight control switch. Also found orange & blue wires that were cut & had electrical tape on their ends. I'm guessing those were for the front running lights...only the turn signals were functioning when we got the bike. I'll be headed to the bike shop to pickup the metric fuses shortly. 20190423_104524.jpg 20190423_095531.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still having issues. Never made it to the bike shop to pickup fuses. I buttoned everything up, no headlight. I take the bucket off to see if something came loose but nothing obvious. When I turn the light on the led's light but just barely, I almost missed it because it was so dim. I cycle the on/off switch on the handlebar & it won't come back on.

·
Registered
105 Posts
What shape is the battery in, is it charged? Can you hook it up to a charger, and while charger turn the headlights on?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What shape is the battery in, is it charged? Can you hook it up to a charger, and while charger turn the headlights on?
Battery is fine. Still shows 12.7 volts. Can't check anything now, main fuse blows instantly. I have looked at every wire in the headlight bucket, both handlebar switches & wires running up to the main bundle. Pulled the plastic sheath off part of the main harness too. I only found two questionable connections & those have been corrected. Calling it a day.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A bit off topic but concerning the clutch lever switch wires, can I toss them? I've got two schematics & neither of them show any clutch switch.

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
Leave the clutch switch wires on for a bit longer......
Baby blue/brown wire is power TO the fuse which ultimately energizes the taillight and meter back-lights through the brown/white stripe wires........
Similarly, the Black/red stripe wires goes TO a different fuse, and emerges as Black/yellow stripe wire that feeds the headlight's hi/lo switch.......
ALL FOUR of those wires should have B+ power when key on and headlight switch on..........

Your replacement right-hand switch/throttle unit SHOULD have the following wires going to/coming from it:
TWO solid black wires (B+ in)
One Black /white stripe (tracer) wire... (B+ to coils when "kill"switch is on run)
One Black/Red... Goes back to headlight fuse)
One Baby Blue/brown.... ( goes back to taillight fuse)
One Yellow wire.... (Goes to alternator Yellow)
One White with yellow tracer (or yellow with white tracer) Also goes to alternator, but through white wire in main harness (and connects to Yellow wire when headlight switch is on)
One Yellow wire /red tracer ... (goes to start solenoid yellow/red)

Please check if that is what you have and phone me....I'll call right back.....

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good grief man, don't you sleep? :eek: All wires check out, that's exactly what I have. Only difference is the yellow & white/yellow on the switch were connected & the main harness has yellow & white wires connected. I did make a bit of progress this morning. Found several loose connectors on the tail/brake/turn signal light. I'm betting that's why fuse was popping. I unplugged all lights & both handlebar switches & started making one connection at a time to see if the fuse would blow. Everything is connected now, fuse still intact so I'm calling that progress. Still don't have a headlight though. I'm not going to try calling today Steve. I've got just enough time to post this but the rest of the day & most of tomorrow morning is getting my wife on her way to DC.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I've got a headlight again...sort of. I made a temporary connection between the white wire from the headlight connector & the brown wire in the bucket, lights on. Did the same with the blue wire, lights up again. Does this mean the handlebar switch is bad?

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
No, not yet, and maybe not that switch.....Does mean headlight is good.....LOL.....
The Black/red stripe wire should have power when when key and light-switch in right-side handlebar control unit are turned on...Does it?
IF YES, check that the Black/Yellow stripe wire in main harness also has power (same switches on) .......IF NO, check headlight fuse,... if YES, check left handlebar high/low switch (Black/Yellow feeds it from headlight fuse, power sent to either white or blue headlight wire by dimmer switch) ....Check connections)....

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So with Steve on the phone giving me instruction on how to use a multimeter, he determined the right switch wasn't the problem, but the hi/lo switch on the left side. Very little power going to the switch....8.4 volts, wasn't it Steve? Anyway, he had me bypass the fusebox & connected the black/red from right switch to the black/yellow in the left switch & voila, let there be light.

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
The problem lies somewhere in the harness wire "loop" (Black/red or Black/yellow,) or the headlight fuse holder itself (I suspect the latter as SAE fuses were used to replace the metric ones), and we simply bypassed that "loop"of wiring and the fuse.......A single fuse holder can be inserted between those switch wires at a later date....For now, it works........Both side's switches are fine, it was getting the power to them that was the fault.....

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I can't thank you enough Steve. It took a while but I'm actually happy it did. I looked over a lot of wiring & found a few issues & some that more than likely wouldn't have become one down the road. Now I get to see how the new braking setup does.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts