Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am pretty darn sure I installed everything correctly according to the factory manual, however, I have to unscrew both barrel adjusters and have the adjuster on the case all the way in for my clutch to engage. Ball bearing is in place, the rod does not look like it has worn much.

-New clutch plates
-Aftermarket clutch lever (the length of the cable connection to the barrel looks the same as the stock clutch lever)

Any ideas? Thanks

image4.jpg
image3.jpg
image2.jpg
image5.jpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's possible, don't ask me how...okay when I was taking apart the steering column bearings went everywhere...that I may have accidentally put a bearing from my steering column in the adjuster... but the difference in size is 1/4 to 5/16.. which I can't imagine would cause this much need for adjustment. I will measure the bearing tomorrow to make sure it's the 5/16 it is supposed to be.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Your clutch pressure plate doesn't look like it's installed properly. There's an arrow on there that needs to align with one of the splines.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was confused by that, the factory manual says"lnstal the clutch pressure plate so that its arrow mark is
aligned to one of the cut.out of the clutch center splines" and has an image pointing to the splines that the friction plates and clutch plates slide onto... but no matter how I put the pressure plate on the arrow lines up with one of cut out on those splines... it doesn't make sense man!! haha.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
rotate it and see if you can align the arrow with one of the splines. Trust me, when the alignment is correct, it will sit flush against the clutch plates.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will definitely rotate it, I'm willing to try anything. The plate does sit flush right now, It's clamping tight too, when the clutch is engaged the bike will move/shift into gears when lever pulled. I was able to take it around the block with the current configuration. Clutch is hard to pull even with tank off and cable making a nice gradual arch to the lever. It's like I am missing a huge piece or something. I will take it apart again tomorrow and see if I can't figure this out, I will also rotate the plate. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MORE DRAMA FO YO MAMMA!! soooo the ball bearing in my clutch mechanism was a 1/4" it is supposed to be a 5/16" according to the factory manual... sooo I tore apart my crown and grabbed out all of the bearings, I took 36 1/4" ball bearings out of the crown...I have 37 1/4" ball bearings.. Weird. I also measured my pushrod and it is 10 1/16 inches, instead of the 10 1/4" it is supposedly supposed to be. I think I am going to grab up a piece of 8mm stainless steel rod and fashion my own pushrod to see if I can make up the differences and get this working correctly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
also, the clutch pressure plate was correct, it's definitely an issue with pushrod/bearing..I think. The bike was not running when I bought it and the clutch was not functional, so I think this may have been an issue all along.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
What size does the parts fiche call for? It will either say #8 or #10. The #8 is 8/32 or 1/4 and the #10 is 10/32 or 5/16. Any bearing shop will have these.

·
Registered
52 Posts
MORE DRAMA FO YO MAMMA!! soooo the ball bearing in my clutch mechanism was a 1/4" it is supposed to be a 5/16" according to the factory manual... sooo I tore apart my crown and grabbed out all of the bearings, I took 36 1/4" ball bearings out of the crown...I have 37 1/4" ball bearings.. Weird. I also measured my pushrod and it is 10 1/16 inches, instead of the 10 1/4" it is supposedly supposed to be. I think I am going to grab up a piece of 8mm stainless steel rod and fashion my own pushrod to see if I can make up the differences and get this working correctly.
I did that. It worked for awhile and then i kept having to readjust the clutch very often.

My advice... Find a OEM replacement or at least have the ends of the stainless steel rod machined by a lathe and definitely get them hardened.

I ended up with tons of metal shavings in my oil. The rod was getting ground down at the ends.

Then i found a used one.. The end.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts