Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting the the lower end together on my K3450. The first thing to fit in is the crank. I've read the manual but no where (at least none that I saw) does it say that the crank bearings are not a caged needle bearing. Of course one of the center bearing shells pulled away and half the needle bearing fell onto the floor. Getting those things back in is more work than steering head bearings, that's for sure.

Next comes the process of putting the transmission back in. That's a whole other frustration that I'll document later.

There, I feel better, now back to work. :)

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Mike... A glob of assembly oil will keep the rollers in place while you assemble.... Fun Huh?

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Bill!...You're giving away ALL the secrets!...LMAO!...Steve

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good tips guy, thanks. The assembly lube might have done the trick if I would have read these messages earlier and stood the crank on the end. I didn't think of that. As usual, I learned the hard way by "forcing" the issue.

It probably wasn't the best idea, but I used a little dab of grease to hold the bearings in place. I say bad idea because I'm a little concerned that a dab of grease might break free and lodge in an oil galley or something. On the other had, I didn't use much and I'll be changing the oil soon after running the bike and getting it hot. It kind of a standard practice of mine.

Now it's time to seal the cases up.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Aruuugh!....IMHO Grease is NOT a good idea!.... I'd be flushing it with solvent, then kero, then blow dry, then oil, and still changing after the first "heat-up" run........Or, you could always take it back apart....

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Alternatively, you could try using the highest detergent-rich motor oil you can find and changing it very frequently upon break-in. It would probably help dissolve that grease a little faster than normal oil.

GB :mrgreen:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts