Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to look at this bike today, owner says it an 83, wants $500 for it. Runs but needs TLC. Can someone identify which model it is: CB450S CB450SE or CM450 ??

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
I agree,...... it's a repainted nighthawk......

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Flat tire, frozen battery, talked him down to $200 and it's now in my garage. Just hooked up a portable fuel tank and she fired up but sputtered, backfired, definitely needs a carb cleaning. There are pin holes in the gas tank, whats the best way to fix them - POR15 ?

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Braze them shut, or new or replacement tank......Which way you should proceed would depend on overall tank condition...and your abilities to find someone willing to put a torch to a fuel tank... Sealers don't quite "get it done" on a regular basis.......
Sputtering could be rust from the tank, or the bad battery as well.........

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm using a new battery from my 66 KO and an old lawn mower gas tank. Bike sat for 2 years so I figure the carbs are gummed up. I've heard lots of good reviews on POR 15, while Kreem has a poor reputation.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Sealer efficacy is totally dependant on the prep work and resultant cleanliness....... A tank that is rusted through (pinholed) is inordinately difficult to clean well enough for any sealer to work......
I also prefer POR 15, but use it to prevent future rust, not cure it once it exists..... Personally, I would patch (braze) or replace the tank.....

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Local weld shop will braze the tank for me.

A question about the carbs. Pulled the carbs to clean them and noticed there are
no rubber plugs. The parts diagram shows a small plug that goes on the tube
next to the mainjet. Is the rubber plug required?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts