Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've got a cb160 with an engine that is quite severely seized and seems to have been sitting empty of oil for an extended period of time. I'm worried the bottom end will be rusty and am trying to think of other options hence the compatibility questions.

1) Can a cb160 valve cover (engine used as stressed member) be used on top of a cl/cb175 head/engine/cases and fit directly into a cb160 frame?

2) can a cb/cl175 crank be used in place of a 160 crank or would that require the head/jugs etc. to be changed as well?

Thank you!

·
Registered
569 Posts
you should use part numbers to cross reference them. a lot of more simple parts work across models and I often buy parts that fit ANY twin within a 3 year range. use cmsnl. If you don't find that the part numbers match then you will have to find someone who's tried it and had it work (what I think you're asking now)

·
Registered
755 Posts
I know it's not exactly what you're asking, but the one-year CL175 sloper has a lot of common parts. Racers swap out the bottom end for 5 gears instead of 4. I believe the top end of the sloper 175 is bolt on to a 160 as well -- perhaps someone can verify.

I'm also selling a complete 160 engine and a complete 175 sloper engine... PM if interested!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yeah I think you're right, better to pay the extra 20% for CB160 parts rather than struggle to put things I don't know how go together with limited tools and minimal mechanical talent

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Racers swap out the bottom end for 5 gears instead of 4.
Actually, the 175 gear set is a drop-in fit in the 160 cases. all you need to do is build up a spot on the upper crankcase, with aluminum weld, to bolt on the five speed shift drum locating tab. The four speed trans uses a locating bolt in the top of the crankcase, saw the bottom end off and screw it back in to plug the hole. Five speeds, with original motor numbers and all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts