Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm pretty new to the forum (and motorcycles, for that matter), and this site has been extremely helpful to me so far, so thanks! I recently got a '72 CB350K4 that runs but needs several smaller things. Overall it seems to be in good shape.

I ran into a problem early on, though. I had ridden motorcycles some, but never kickstarted one. Now I cringe thinking about this, but I tried to kickstart the bike in the wrong way (clockwise). I later figured it out, but after a few proper kicks, the shaft wouldn't return up. I can still start the bike, but have to return the kicker by hand.

Yesterday I went to inspect the damage, thinking maybe I knocked the spring out of whack. I took off right crankcase cover and found that the spring was fine, but the part of the crankcase that it hooks onto had broken off. Also, a flatter piece of the case was broken off too, just below the clutch basket (it's in the blue box in the shop manual screen shot).

I think probably I'll have to replace the lower crankcase eventually, but don't have the space to do that for a while. Does anyone have any thoughts on if the bike's okay to ride like this? Or do you think these pieces could be welded back on? I'm okay with having a non-returning kickstarter, but I'm worried about the larger flat piece. Anyone know what it does, maybe it's involved in the lubrication system? Any help/insight is greatly appreciated, and thank you!

Tom

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
since you've gotten the pieces out you are ok. just remove the kickstarter so it doesn't flop around and ride it.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Take the kicker return spring out before buttoning it back up.... It appears as it will rub on the clutch primary gear, and COULD interfere with shifting.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input with this. I took off the return spring and put everything back together, but now I have a new problem: when I start it up (using the kickstarter) it rattles or ratchets constantly. It was doing this before I took it apart and removed the spring, but the ratcheting would stop when I returned the kicker to the 12 o'clock position by hand, and then moved it slightly counter-clockwise. Now the ratcheting occurs no matter what position the kicker is in.

Any idea why this ratcheting problem would be worse now that the spring is removed? I've looked at a few other threads about ratcheting kickstarters, but couldn't really figure this out. Also, even though the spring wouldn't return the kicker arm before I took it out, it kept the arm from flopping around--I'm wondering if this has anything to do with this problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts