Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have been slamming my head against my desk all day regarding this and I haven't been able to find any information any where. I am wondering why or how there would be no vin number here. I have heard of motors having their vin filed off but never dots placed on top or anything. I recently purchased a 71 cl350 and an extra motor. Now the motor on the frame does have a vin number but the extra engine has dots where the vin would be. The dots look all the same size and in nice little rows. The guy I got the extra motor from couldn't tell me anything about it but it looked pretty clean and wasn't seized.

20190501_191224.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
The ENGINE number is in that location. The VIN number is on the neck of the bike under the handle bars, there will either be a plate with it on it or it will be stamped into the frame or both.

That is a factory replacement casing. They would normally transfer the numbers over if it needed to be replaced.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much! I couldn't find that anywhere but knew someone here would know. :D Yeah the vin plate is still on the neck and the engine on the bike has the engine number there still but this extra engine didn't so it was puzzling. Nice to know its just cause it is a factory replacement case. Thanks again for the info.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
The Dealer "SHOULD have Stamped the Numbers from the original into the replacement case but... ?

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
Not certain about the 350's, but a snapped drive chain on a 175 would/could have broken-out the original number, possibly leaving the mechanic with no reference as to what it was before......
Can't copy what isn't available TO copy.....

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Not certain about the 350's, but a snapped drive chain on a 175 would/could have broken-out the original number, possibly leaving the mechanic with no reference as to what it was before......
Can't copy what isn't available TO copy.....
CB750 K0 were prone to the same failure.....

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
CB750 K0 were prone to the same failure.....
but I can't recall ever seeing the engine number area broken away on a 750, the ones I experienced (and a customer bike done by myself, personally, when I was a dumb 15 year old) hit in the middle between cases and ruined them both - of course, they had to be replaced as a pair anyway due to the plain bearing crank. And, of course, that was pre-case protector and modified front sprocket cover recall

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea I did think they would go by the vin neck here. When I took my 750 to get a plate here the other day thats all they looked at was the neck vin number. I figured the engine case was put together by someone other than a dealer. Its super clean looking inside the valve tappets and the stator looks new buts that is as far as I have looked in to it since I picked it up. Again thanks for all the help with it :D

Reactions: ancientdad

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol yea been looking for something to post on lol so I'll just post here for the 10. :D Now to just get more pictures of the bikes on the forums :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts