Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, working on a 69 CB350, I maybe am blind, but I don't see any alignment mark on the stator? Tried to set the valves aligning to dead center on top left coil, now have major valve ticking so must have made it worse argh. Any tricks for recreating where the mark should be...?

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
No need to worry, pull the spark plugs out and stick a pencil or a straw down in the hole and roll the engine over until it is all the way up. The points for that cylinder should be just about to open and both rockers should be loose. Adjust the valves on that cylinder, then repeat for the other side. No need to obsess about it being EXACTLY on TDC to adjust the valves, it only needs to be reasonably close for both cam lobes to be on the base circle.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Looks like a RICKS Stator & Charging system.

Once you have found TDC take a HackSaw and Saw a Line in the Coil that will match up with the TDC Makr on the rotor

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried again today with a dowel, confirmed compression stroke, bought it up till the wood crunched, pulled it out, brought up just a touch more, set the valves, repeated on other side, still clanging like crazy.

Also tried to find midway stroke and set the chain prior to thinking was affecting, now I have chain noise added to the mix.. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thinking maybe I'm screwing up the valve setting rather than stroke position.. gonna keep at it. Also reached out to Rick's to see if they can confirm the exact position.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tried a third time today, set chain, all 4 valves, still clanging and now dies immediately with any throttle :(

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Hard to say if it would help, but sometimes hearing something is the best way to help - a video taken near the engine (but away from the exhaust to avoid it being louder than the noises in the engine) might help us figure out what you're hearing

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, here's the latest status:

Here's an earlier attempt:

Prior to my attempts there was no noticeable noise.. (just an original problem of one side running cold/sputtering/fouling that I'm trying to solve starting with standard maint. Which is turning out not so standard..)

Can't be that crazy.. not sure what I'm missing.. one of the four valve screws has an index not quite pointing out.. but can account for all the noise..

Would an overtight cam chain kill the engine on opening the throttle?

Afaik loose valves tick.. do overtight as well?

The only feeler I have is .0025 for intake. Assumed was close enough for stock .002.. maybe not?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Watching the piston with a flashlight, it seems nearly certain that TDC does infact line up with the little coating nub on the 11oclock coil. So must be doing something wrong with the settings themselves..

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Well, from the sound of the video it seems like valve adjustment noise. No, too tight won't make any noise (or shouldn't, but that could depend on the condition of your rocker arms). So, with the valve covers off, you watch the left intake valve open and then close, then find TDC as best you can with your stator missing the mark. Then you adjust the left valves, then watch the right intake open and close and then find right side TDC and adjust the right side valves. Your .0025" feeler is fine to get things close, the extra half-thousandths isn't what we're hearing... have you had the top end apart, or is it as you bought it? Could have some excess wear on the rocker arms and/or cam that is contributing to adjustment difficulty

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input, redid all (chain, 4 valves) again tonight, it's at least running.. still sounds like a bucket of bolts. Chain is just a little more than finger tight, double checked 90 past LTDC, valves reasonable drag on feeler.. each set on compression TDC per side.. screws index pointing out per manual .. And no effect on the original problem (right side fouling) which is a topic for another thread....

Haven't had the top end off since I've had it, on arrival no valve noise until I fiddled, only original one side cold and fouling problem. Hopefully I didn't screw anything up trying to adjust..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven't been loosening the locknut/adjuster before rotating to find compression / TDC... Would that screw up the process on a 350...?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts