Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to bring 72 CB350K4 back to life. Finally got into the right side crankcase cover, which houses the kickstarter. When I pulled the cover off, I discovered that part of the casing metal was missing. photos attached. The first pic (of another engine) shows what the casing should look like. I think the horizontal ledge serves to hold the kickstarter spring in position with enough tension on it to return the kickstarter pedal after each kick. About 10 mm of this ledge is missing from my bike, shown in the second pic.

I don't think I can put the crankcase cover back on AND hold the spring up manually. I put some JB weld on the edge of the remaining ledge to set the spring position before putting on the cover. First attempt (allowing JB Weld to sit 24 hours) failed when the glob of JB Weld was forced off the ledge by the lateral tension on the spring. I sanded the metal a bit to give it a better grip and I'll wait 48 hours before testing the second glob with the spring.

My questions: If the JB Weld works and I'm able to get the cover on, how might this mod affect the function of the kickstarter? If the JB Weld doesn't work, is there a way to set the spring postion and get the cover on. Thanks J kickstart 1.jpg kickstart 2.jpg

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Since you have the engine out already, I think it would be best to take the lower case to someone who can heliarc the proper amount of aluminum back on that area and then try to finish it into the shape it's supposed to be. JB Weld might work for a while but I can't imagine it surviving for the long haul when exposed to the heat and oil that's in that area regularly.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
you could try driling, tapping, and thread it a small bolt that will act as a stopper in place of the missing tab.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
That spring is burly and can see a lot of action. I don't recommend jb weld, it's just a waste of time. You can go sans kickstart, weld repair, or source a new lower case.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I think replacement case it will be. Thank you all for your feedback.

Before trying to source a solid lower crankcase, I thought I tried one more alternative. Going with the consensus that the JB Weld would eventually lose it's grip and end up in the oil flow, I removed the second glob with a dremel grinding wheel. Then using a cutting wheel, I put a small groove into the remaining lip, just enough to give the spring a "seat" to rest in. That should work well enough to get the cover on. To be continued.......

·
Registered
55 Posts
This happened to me too! I took it to a few machinists and they wouldn't work on it, so I ended up sourcing a new crankcase.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts