Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I recently bought a cb360 - 74'. Everything appears to be running well except 4th gear won't engage. I can shift fine 1-3 and 5-6 - all sounding and engaging in good order. I have been in the habit of just shifting past 4th on my way up and down the gears. When I do land in fourth gear its like being in nutral, and letting on the throtal just revs up the engine. There is no rattle or otherwise alarming sounds when I am in 4th. As I'm going down the road you would not be abeable to tell 4th gear and nutral apart. It has been this way since I bought the bike.

So, any ideas whats going on here? How risky might this situation be?

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Welcome to the forum
Fourth gear may be stripped-out completely.. I would check it in one way to start.
Take the bike and put it onto the centerstand/mainstand where the back wheel is elevated from the ground.I would then click the shifter from neutral down into 1st and then try moving the rear wheel back and forth just to get a feel for how tight the engine is holding and how the shifter moves without engine load on it.Then shift on up to 2nd,3rd,4th and all the way up to 6th gear and back down again to 1st and neutral.I would be listening/feeling to the shifter/transmission action while I slowly rock the rear wheel w/ my hand back and forth.

·
Super Moderator
5,921 Posts
Could be bent shift fork or the side of the gear (dogs) may be broken. In any case, the crankcase needs to be opened and the transmission inspected.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts