Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ordered an extra piston for my bike after accidentally destroying one of my pair. I ordered using the same model number, and while close, this piston I received isn't exactly identical. While both pistons are the same height, and diameter, the new piston is has a slightly taller part where it is a complete cylinder, before the bulge on top. There is only less than a mm difference. My question is, does it matter? Or am I fine to put it in the bike as is?

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I recently ordered an extra piston for my bike after accidentally destroying one of my pair. I ordered using the same model number, and while close, this piston I received isn't exactly identical. While both pistons are the same height, and diameter, the new piston is has a slightly taller part where it is a complete cylinder, before the bulge on top. There is only less than a mm difference. My question is, does it matter? Or am I fine to put it in the bike as is?

What bike?
Any pics of the pistons side by side?

It's typically a good idea to buy pistons as a pair and not singly like that.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I wonder how close their weights are? While its of course your decision which parts you put into your engine, a balanced pair of pistons with the same weight and compression ratio may or may not need similar appearance. But I'm no expert and this is purely conjecture.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
The height difference should be measured from the wrist pin and not the skirt. Unless there is a big difference in weight it should be fine to use the different pistons. I have seen engines with different pistons, even an overbore on one cylinder run for years without any problems.
TOOLS

1 - 4 of 4 Posts