Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've been putting back together a 1976 CJ360t and I'm trying to figure out how I can try to start it with what I have. The bike was a bit of a basket case when I got it so I don't have a battery, ignition switch, lights, or gauges.

What's the minimum needed to start the bike? Aside from what's missing I had everything connected (grounds connected, the red and black for the ignition connected together, spark plugs and coils obviously) but nothing happened when I kicked the engine over.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
To just start it all you need is a jumper wire from the battery positive to the ignition coils. I believe it is a black/white wire.
TOOLS

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
And the negative side of the battery grounded and a wire going from each coil to each set of points.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's another thing... I did a spark test and there wasn't any spark. I used a multimeter and connected it to the spark plug boot and a ground and when I tried kickstarting the multimeter went to "0.L" and back. Obviously there's some kind of a change going on, I'm thinking the multimeter just isn't quick enough to pick up the new voltage produced when kickstarting?

I'm trying to rule out what I can - spark plugs are brand new so they're fine, battery shouldn't be needed to kickstart, regulator is just for keeping the voltage to 12V of the battery recharging so that shouldn't matter? Anything else I can rule out as the issue or anything else I should try?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Or am I just mistaken about not needing a battery... I've read that it's possible to run without it, just not well?

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
You could try to use a big capacitor, like a sixties era Triumph, in place of the battery.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You would be much better off with a battery. The 360 does not have a magneto and needs a battery to run properly. And if you did manage to get it started without a battery you would screw up the regulator/rectifier which needs the battery as a buffer zone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, (I am new to forum so apologies in advance if I am not posting correctly)
I am in a similar situation; I have just taken on a project on a 1973 Honda CB175. I have picked this bike up in following state; frame with bars and wheels and pretty much everything else in boxes / tubs.
At present I have the engine back in, a new wiring harness in, rectifier, soleniod, winker etc.. and I am working through the process of hooking it all up via a schematic (in colour too which is a big help) I have obtained from one of the members of this site
I am looking towards trying to test start the engine, but I have a little difference to the above. The kick start has been sheared off the engine so I am initially going to try and start with the electric starter motor. I have tested the starter motor independently and it starts up and spins.
Appreciate any advice in regards to the minimum amount of connections required in order to attempt a test start.
Thanks in advance, CB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts