Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Now that I've introduced myself in the introductions section, I thought I would start a thread showing some of the things I've done to my bike. It was in pretty good shape when I got it. To get it running I just needed to do a minor carb clean and install a new battery.

Though it was in good shape, there are a few things I feel it needs, plus a lot of little things I want to do to it over time.

Here are the before shots:

Although I appreciate those original accessories attached to the rear, it's not the look I'm going for. So the first thing I did was remove 'em. And I think it's an improvement.

Next up, replace those 37 year-old tires. Yep, they're original. No dry rot either, if you can believe it. But I don't trust them and they're too skinny anyway.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Are you thining about selling the luggage rack?
Don

·
Registered
52 Posts
Looks good. I'd be interested in the sissybar/rack. I live just south of Syracuse. I wouldn't mind a trip out to pick it up if you haven't sold it. haha it appears someone else had the same idea. If I hadn't googled the location I would have posted this first.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
UltraDaft said:
......... But I don't trust them and they're too skinny anyway.
"Skinny" tires make for better handling.......fat tires just look cooler and increase un-sprung weight........

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Recently purchased a buffing wheel from Harbor Freight. I can't believe how well it works. I polished up the carb clamps, carb tops, and float bowls.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Coat those clamps with clear paint as they are steel, and buffing them has removed some (or most) of the protective plating...They WILL rust quickly otherwise.... The tops and bowl are aluminum alloy, and look great........

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
66Sprint said:
Coat those clamps with clear paint as they are steel, and buffing them has removed some (or most) of the protective plating...They WILL rust quickly otherwise.... The tops and bowl are aluminum alloy, and look great........

Ah, good idea. I had not thought of that. I suppose buffing the clamps wasn't the best thing to do. I am becoming addicted to polishing small metal objects. I haven't buffed all the pennies in my pocket yet. But that could be next.

Reactions: JustinLee

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To those who inquired about the luggage rack and sissy bar. I haven't decided for certain, but I'm leaning toward selling them. I don't plan on using them again.

So far, three people have asked about them. If I sell them, what's the best way to go about it? Sell them on the forum to the first person who asked? Or list them on ebay and let people bid on them? How's it usually done when several people show interest?

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Set your price....Offer them to the first "asker"....If they want to pay that, make the deal...If not offer to the second.......
OR, Tell the "askers' when you will be listing it on ebay and let them have at it.....

I prefer the first method, but that's just me...........

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ordered some Bridgestone Spitfires from Competition Accessories and my neighbor helped me install them using his tire changer. Actually, I guess I helped him, since I didn't know what I was doing.

Front: 110/90-19
Rear: 120/90-18

Quite a bit larger than stock. I think they look nice. I realize that the increased size will not necessarily help with handling, but I have to enjoy looking at the bike. Motorcycles are about looks as much as performance. I'm trying to strike a balance between the two.

The rear wheel was really gunked up. But after a couple of hours of serious scrubbing, it shined up nicely.

Hovering without wheels, it looks like a speeder bike from Star Wars...vintage of course.

What a difference between the original rear tire and the new one.

Front rim

Checking the balance

All done.

That's it for now. Next I'll be showing the modification and installation of the new superbike bars. It was quite a challenge for me and my limited experience. But it was lots of fun.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow, what a change!! It looks absolutely great with those tires and the sissy bar gone. Are you planning on keeping the mirrors off?

Can't wait to see it with the new bars. I'm in the midst of doing the same things to the '71 CB450 I just picked up.

Looking good!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dave450 said:
Are you planning on keeping the mirrors off?

I put the mirrors back on temporarily so I can ride it until my Napoleon bar-end mirrors come. For some reason I think those are the coolest looking things to put on a vintage bike.

Those Napoleons are really hard to come by, especially in chrome.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The handlebars were kind of challenging. I had to completely disassemble the switches and unsolder a bunch of wires because some things wouldn't fit through the holes when I pulled the wires out. I'm thinking it would have been easier to cut all the wires at a spot before they enter the bars and then install connections, but that might have been hard to waterproof.

I wanted to route the wires through the new bars, so I didn't have to grind holes in my controls. So obviously that meant drilling the bars. I made a jig for my drill press and went to work.

Got the wires back through. Now had to solder all these back on and reassemble all the tiny parts inside the switches.

Here's the end result. Put new grips on too. Just can't wait to get rid of those mirrors. Finally found some Napoleons on Ebay today.

The old and new bars for comparison.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
They're usually all over Ebay. By what seemed like the millions at one time..

GB :mrgreen:

I've been checking Ebay for weeks with no luck. Finally found some though. Also, every outlet I've found online says they're back-ordered. One place mentioned a problem with the distributor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow those bars look fantastic on your bike. You did a nice and clean job at drilling the bars to accept the wires too. Your stock bars look exactly like mine... a little bent on the left hand side. You've got me convinced to swap out the bars on my '71 CB450. Are those the bars that sell on eBay for about $20 plus shipping?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Znabb said:
Great work. The bars looks really tidy with the cabels inside.
What do the locating pin look like that goes into the little hole? It has been grind away inside my controls as the cables is routed on the outside.
I just happen to have a picture of that locating pin. I take tons of reference photos while I disassemble stuff. I'm usually learning as I go, so I need something to look back on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dave450 said:
Wow those bars look fantastic on your bike. You did a nice and clean job at drilling the bars to accept the wires too. Your stock bars look exactly like mine... a little bent on the left hand side. You've got me convinced to swap out the bars on my '71 CB450. Are those the bars that sell on eBay for about $20 plus shipping?
Thanks, it took me three long evenings after work to get that done. I tried to be meticulous with every step.

I was wondering if anyone would notice that bend in the original bars. That came from the bike falling over in a driveway before I owned it. It made it uncomfortable to ride. I had to keep one shoulder raised a bit.

Yes, those are the bars for $20. From Sportingforless. Pretty decent quality for the price. Though mine had a weird stain on the chrome . But it happened to be on the bottom where I was drilling the largest slot, so I didn't bother notifying them. The rest looked great.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts