Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do. It's been a while . . .

I've finally fitted some Mikunis to the 450 that I've had sitting in a box for about four years. Fitting them was pretty straightforward - can't remember exactly where I got them from, but they came with intake manifold adapters. They needs dialing in - the bike's a bit boggy right now (I assume it's running rich) and from looking at the search results, it's clear there's a variety of experience and opinion here about what jets and needle settings work well.

But that's not what I'm here for today. What I'm trying to figure out is whether I'm the only one who's finding the right hand carb choke pin to be almost inaccessible because it sits more or less behind the fuel tap. The left hand one has the lever on it - which is fine - but I'm struggling to understand how to use the right hand pin without double jointing my fingers.

I know there are a couple of different choke varieties for the Mikunis - levers, pins and so on - so is it just a case of finding something that works? I'm kinda loathed to leave it like it is, 'cos I'm having to start the bike with the choke on the left side only.

Suggestions - other than swap back to the original carbs - please? I may go back to stock at some point, but I remember paying way over the odds for the Mikunis because I imported them from the US and import duties run around 30%. I'd like to try and work them out if I can.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
523 Posts
gosh, where to start.
my recommendation would be to change so there's a lever on one side and a knob on the other. both style plungers/lever are available from Sudco/Mikuni.

or, do what I did and got a linkage set from a Suzuki T500 (actually, I used the complete carbs, they're 32mm, with a 3/4 or 19mm spacer on the spigots) and they work well.
J

·
Registered
308 Posts
There's probably also the option to fit two cables for the choke and lead them into a single choke lever. It may add complexity, but it also makes it possible to evenly apply choke on both carbs, and you can have it conveniently placed wherever (but preferably somewhere on the frame, because routing more cables to the handlebars is overall a bad idea).

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had the same issue with a Yamaha XS1. I just choked the left carb and it started fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts