Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having a hard time getting my basket case 450 up and running and decided to take it to a local shop. They decided that I needed new carbs and sold me some Mikuni VM32s. I picked it up after it was in the shop for about 3 months (!) and it is running so bad. I managed to limp it home, but it has no power through most of the mid range. It idles OK and once I rev it up, it wants to pull, but the mid-range is pretty useless. I pulled the jets and it has

Main jet- 185
Pilot jet- 35
Needle jet- 159 P5
Jet needle- 6DH4
Air jet- 2.0

It's a bit frustrating, because I was wanting to keep the airbox and wanted to make the bike as trouble free as possible, but the stock box will no longer fit with the new carbs. I picked up some foam Uni pods for it. Running stock pipes, but they are in pretty lousy shape. I'll be looking for some replacements soon.

When I pulled the plugs it was running rich, so I moved the clips on the needles up one. It seems to have made a minor improvement in the bogs, but I thought I'd see if someone here has a better idea about a good starting point for a CB450 before I start blindly ordering jets.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have searched this forum for any wisdom on this topic and all I found were others asking the same questions. So I will post what I learn so that a future search might help someone else. I have been having another conversation on another forum and it sounds like a good starting point for the CB450 is:
155 main jet
#30 pilot jet
176-P4 Needle jet
and I'm keeping the air jet at 2.0
The jet needle seems to be fine for now, but I will get these new jets ordered and then see where I am.
It was interesting to hear that the 159-P5 needle jet that comes stock in the VM32s is actually intended for 2 stroke bikes and the 176 that I'm going to get does a better job of misting the fuel to get a better burn.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts