Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gents the old site had a lot of info on the jets and needle people were using in there Mikuni's. :) With this gone :cry: could someone tell me the different jets used. The engine is new and fitted with a 500cc kit running, 34mm round slide Mikuni's.
I Need the size for the Needle jet (159 series), Pilot jet, Main jet and Needle size and which ring the clips on. I know that your sizes may not work on my engine but at last i'll have a starting point.

I have found these specs for 34mm carbs on a race bike :twisted: not sure if this is the place to start, any advice welcome
Main Jet 220
Pilot Jet 35
Needle Jet P4
Needle 6dh2
Slide 2.5 cutaway

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Found them.....er thanks :roll:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I lost all of my info on jetting with my laptop but I did save an email from an Ebay seller.

He was running Swarbrick racing megaphones. Here is his reply:

Below is the jetting I used with 32mm roundslides and this exhaust.

VM-32
Needle jet: 159 P-4
Main jet: 195
pilot jet: 35
air jet: 2.0

Hope this helps.

I also have a Mikuni VM carb manual in PDF form that I can email out to anyone that is running these carbs.

I forget my jetting, but I'll be asking for advice from Team Hansen when they do my engine work.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did a search in the 450 Xfiles :D :D

Main jet 190
Pilot jet 35
Needle jet p5
Needle 6dh7
air jet 2.0

Rod from OZ :cool:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
I lost all of my info on jetting with my laptop but I did save an email from an Ebay seller.

He was running Swarbrick racing megaphones. Here is his reply:

Below is the jetting I used with 32mm roundslides and this exhaust.

VM-32
Needle jet: 159 P-4
Main jet: 195
pilot jet: 35
air jet: 2.0

Hope this helps.

I also have a Mikuni VM carb manual in PDF form that I can email out to anyone that is running these carbs.

I forget my jetting, but I'll be asking for advice from Team Hansen when they do my engine work.

Did Terry over at Team Hansen do your engine work yet and if so what jetting did he recommend?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I have yet to deliver anything to Terry at Team Hansen. I plan on going up there to meet him hopefully, while delivering my parts. I expect I should be going up there if he has the time to do my work, in about a month from now. I may also take my carbs and let him set them up properly. When I asked Todd Henning Racing about it, they got kinda stern with me and only said "You should've bought them from me!" I even told them that I'd be no competetion as I don't race, just to make them feel better about giving out any info.

I'm still planning on having him do the bore job, fit up (I think) 74mm pistons, fit hotter street profile cams with a coil spring conversion and modern valve seals, top end oiler and replace the tach drive with another cam "bearing" to get rid of the tach drive altogether. We'd also planned on the internal coating to aid in oiling, cleaning up the ports, and painting everything. If he has any time, I really want him to inspect the bottom end as well.

So, sorry. No info just yet from me.... :oops:

·
Registered
89 Posts
he did the same head work for me....minus the top end oiler. he keeps asking me what am i going to do next......was thinking about the cams but have to see what wallet damaged they will do. I am currently trying to setup my VM34's....the ones i received came way overjetted so i am trying to get a good starting point for my application.....my mods were 3mm overbore and i have Dunstall mufflers and i will be running K&N pods. I am ordering some Jets from JetsRus so i can start making some changes to get them working correctly. If you get any more info from him let me know....i may be calling him soon but dont want to keep bugging him about this issue. As for Tod Henning..."F" em.....i cant stand when a company gets an attitude towards a person who wouldnt be competition and who is just a hobbyist trying to get his machines going. Stick with Terry if your wallet allows...he is a good guy...i havent met him but i have spoken to him several times....oh yeah and stay away from M3 racing they suck also.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Thanks for the advice! I'm with you on the issue about Henning. I can't see where it'd hurt to help a guy that's only in it for fun, and just enjoying his hobby. If you're not competition then what's the worry. If anything, giving advice might actually help you and establish your business as a friendly one. They were just sore that they lost a sale I guess. But I didn't even buy my carbs. I traded a guy a brand new torque wrench for them and they were new in the box from Sudco, also jetted like turds.. Sudco just tells customers that they're jetted properly to make another sale.

Some of these companies are as bad as the federal government! :evil:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
Thanks for the advice! I'm with you on the issue about Henning. I can't see where it'd hurt to help a guy that's only in it for fun, and just enjoying his hobby. If you're not competition then what's the worry. If anything, giving advice might actually help you and establish your business as a friendly one. They were just sore that they lost a sale I guess. But I didn't even buy my carbs. I traded a guy a brand new torque wrench for them and they were new in the box from Sudco, also jetted like turds.. Sudco just tells customers that they're jetted properly to make another sale.

Some of these companies are as bad as the federal government! :evil:

yeah i know Terry has tested many types of carbs on these motors and i consider his advice pretty much top notch. Not saying no one else knows anything but he is the one who has proven to me he knows what he is talking about.

·
Registered
89 Posts
finally got my VM34's dialed in to where i can ride it.....i am sure more tuning is required but just to be able to ride the bike has me extrememly happy.

I went with a.....

MJ ----130 which is close to a 145 for the Keihin jets. (acutally a Mikuni 125 is closer to the 145 Keihin)
PJ-----27.5
NJ-----P4
AJ-----2.0
JN-----6DH4

this is the original jetting that came with my carbs
MJ-----260..lol..yeah i know
PJ-----35
NJ-----Q2
AJ-----2.0 kept it the same
JN-----6DH4 kept it the same

EDIT: Columbus OHIO elevation 902ft

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I edited in the elevation for your local area, into your post. I hope you don't mind. :?

I figured if we get a few more guys wanting to set up these Mikuni VM34 carbs then elevation would play a major role in their jetting.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
I edited in the elevation for your local area, into your post. I hope you don't mind. :?

I figured if we get a few more guys wanting to set up these Mikuni VM34 carbs then elevation would play a major role in their jetting.

Yep, mine will be going on a dyno in the next month or so, so we shall see :p I'm at sea level up to 600m (1900 ft), Running K&N filters and Dunstall pipes.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
After we all gather some good solid jetting info and confirm that it's correct for the application, I'd like to put together a quick reference page or thread on jetting with these Mikunis.

Time will tell...

·
Registered
89 Posts
sounds like a good idea...it seems like i looked all over the place for info on my application but had to remember unless you have done nothing to the bike no one will have the same settings. Zipping up and down the storage drive way was such a blast...........getting my spacer plates replaced with ones with a taper so i wont have that "step" in front of the spigot.
I think it will be very helpful to compile some data for others who are new to jetting so they can have a good starting point. I didnt have any starting point but just kept reading and looking at the Mikuni diagram and each circuit. I also found a good conversion chart for Keihin, Dynojet,and Mikuni....i am sure some of you have seen this but here it is again.
http://www.jetsrus.com/main_page.htm

This chart is only for the Main Jets.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
brokenglass said:
ever get that dyno rod?
Mate it's so close only weeks away :p

·
Registered
240 Posts
If you don't mind me asking GB what's he charging for all that work? And is the valve spring conversion worth it to get rid of those torsion valves? I have to tear down and replace the pistons and was looking at possibly doing cams and head job also. Thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
owdskl said:
If you don't mind me asking GB what's he charging for all that work? And is the valve spring conversion worth it to get rid of those torsion valves? I have to tear down and replace the pistons and was looking at possibly doing cams and head job also. Thanks.
If your torsion bars are worn out like mine was i cant see why you wouldnt go with a spring conversion kit. Even if you find torsion bars that have never been used there is a possibility that due to time alone(i.e 30 some odd years since manufacture)....one may be faulty. As is what happened to a compentent engine builder i know.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I don't remember the exact pricing but you can email them for a basic pricing list. I think it was around $900-$1200 to have the head completely re-worked. That's not including their special cams. Plus the bore job and their custom pistons. I was figuring on spending $3000.00 on it but he said we could get it done for less than that. Then there's the bottom end.. Hopefully it's in good shape already!

Those prices are just for them doing the rework and me doing all of the assembly of the engine itself..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts