Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought both a 125 twin 79 and a 250 twin 79, both i had some fine metal clouwds in the oil, both bikes had sadly ridden with the older oil for 400km, i am questioning myself if this hurts the engine? Is this normal? I will change oil now a bit sooner and use 5w40 and magnetic plugs on both bikes. They have both quite low miles, the 250n seems to have a suction point to the filter at a liter orso, maybe that scavanges some metal.

·
Super Moderator
9,683 Posts
On any engine that has not had appropriate oil changes I personally would change the oil, ride it 10 or so miles, and change the oil again. Potential damage can be assessed by monitoring oil consumption and performance. You may want to do a compression test.

Look in your owners manual or factory service manuals (PM sent in case you don't have them) to determine the proper viscosity for each bike. In all cases the oil must have a JASO rating of MA (motorcycle oil compatible with wet clutches).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes! Is it not normal to get tiny metal parts in such gearbox engine combi? Because both bikes has it.
It seems it can only do max 1500km with oil and not 5000km orso?????
By the way i use the cheapest car fully synthetic 5w40 now, in the past i had clutch problems with shell helix, but this seems fine. Only 3,50 euro per liter.
The particles in the old oil seem smaller then 0.2x10micrometer metallic paint paricles, maybe only roller bearings and gears can crush that...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes! Is it not normal to get tiny metal parts in such gearbox engine combi? Because both bikes has it.
It seems it can only do max 1500km with oil and not 5000km orso?????
By the way i use the cheapest car fully synthetic 5w40 now, in the past i had clutch problems with shell helix, but this seems fine. Only 3,50 euro per liter.
The particles in the old oil seem smaller then 0.2x10micrometer metallic paint paricles, maybe only roller bearings and gears can crush that...
You don’t want to be running auto synthetic. It’s not good on your wet clutch. Run motorcycle oil or conventional oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts