Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1971 CL175 K5
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
My name is Luca, and I’m from smack dab in the middle of California (in between Fresno and Bakersfield). I’m a recent follower of the forum finally turned member.
A few months back I bought a 1971 CL175 that’s in the middle of a brat style conversion. Currently she has a CB200 tank, no blinkers, a non OEM headlight, chopped shotgun pipes, pod filters, biltwell bars/grips, an LED taillight, and the last owner chopped the seat brackets to accommodate an Amazon 🤢 seat. I’ve noticed the members of this forum are more inclined to keep the bikes original, so I hope my decision to follow through with the change isn’t taken the wrong way.
I have been returning many Mickey Mouse nuts and bolts to OEM/NOS parts. Soon I hope to remove all of the Amazon generic parts and replace them with quality pieces like a handmade seat, to fit the tank I’m running. I cleaned and replaced the seals and jets on the original carburetors so I can throw them on once the electrical situation is sorted. I forgot to mention that I rode for a good month and a half before dumping her on a bad turn, and my 50 year old electrical (that looks to have been spliced a half dozen times) decided to take a dump on me. 😂 Enough about me though!
Hopefully I can contribute more to the forum as I learn about my bike. Cheers!
0108080F-0C94-4878-ADA7-BF382A845835.jpeg

·
Registered
Cl350 Cl175
20 Posts
Hey I'm new as well. I Love the cb200 tanks. That flat square look is awesome. I'm digging the style your bike too. I love when the tank has patina or even rust outside but the engine and everything else is clean. so its true that the 200 tank fits on the 175 frame with no issues? that's pretty cool.

·
Registered
1971 CL175 K5
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey I'm new as well. I Love the cb200 tanks. That flat square look is awesome. I'm digging the style your bike too. I love when the tank has patina or even rust outside but the engine and everything else is clean. so its true that the 200 tank fits on the 175 frame with no issues? that's pretty cool.
Thanks Nick! I think I’m going to spray some matte clear coat over it to keep it from rusting any more.
It scrapes the frame just barely on the backside of the tank, but the original rubber tabs to hold it in place are snug enough to hold it. The only thing is the rubber rectangle that the tank rests on doesn’t fit. I’m thinking I might need one from a cb200, or maybe just tack a threaded tube onto the frame so I can screw in the back of it to keep it from sliding/vibrating.
Hope that makes sense, I’m new to all of this and learning as I go.

·
Registered
Cl350 Cl175
20 Posts
Thanks Nick! I think I’m going to spray some matte clear coat over it to keep it from rusting any more.
It scrapes the frame just barely on the backside of the tank, but the original rubber tabs to hold it in place are snug enough to hold it. The only thing is the rubber rectangle that the tank rests on doesn’t fit. I’m thinking I might need one from a cb200, or maybe just tack a threaded tube onto the frame so I can screw in the back of it to keep it from sliding/vibrating.
Hope that makes sense, I’m new to all of this and learning as I go.
yea I'm sure you will come up with a way to snug it down. Make sure you use a 2k clear coat. Otherwise a little gas spill will ruin it and cause you to have to redo the whole thing... ask me how I know. even the clear coats that say they are for automobiles, like Dupli-color clear will still melt away with a little gas. I use this one.

·
Registered
1971 CL175 K5
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea I'm sure you will come up with a way to snug it down. Make sure you use a 2k clear coat. Otherwise a little gas spill will ruin it and cause you to have to redo the whole thing... ask me how I know. even the clear coats that say they are for automobiles, like Dupli-color clear will still melt away with a little gas. I use this one.
View attachment 315671
That’s actually super helpful. Thanks for saving me a headache lol. Would a Rustoleum 2k work or would I just be better off grabbing that exact clear?

About that spillage… Everytime I tip the tank some gas wants to escape. Even after replacing the caps gasket! Should I check the fit of the cap itself to the tank, or is that normal?

·
Registered
Cl350 Cl175
20 Posts
That’s actually super helpful. Thanks for saving me a headache lol. Would a Rustoleum 2k work or would I just be better off grabbing that exact clear?

About that spillage… Everytime I tip the tank some gas wants to escape. Even after replacing the caps gasket! Should I check the fit of the cap itself to the tank, or is that normal?
As long as the clear coat has an activator in it which turns hard after curing. There needs to be a little button on the lid. You turn the can upside down and activate it by pushing the button on the bottom. This activated the hardener. I would order the Spray Max. Eastwood also has a good one. I wouldn't risk it. They are more expensive but save you time and headache especially if you are getting leaking already. How bad is the leaking? I don't think it should leak at all, but I don't fill my tank to the tip top because I'm afraid of that. for example if I turned my tank upside-down, even with a new gasket, gas would leak.

·
Registered
1971 CL175 K5
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As long as the clear coat has an activator in it which turns hard after curing. There needs to be a little button on the lid. You turn the can upside down and activate it by pushing the button on the bottom. This activated the hardener. I would order the Spray Max. Eastwood also has a good one. I wouldn't risk it. They are more expensive but save you time and headache especially if you are getting leaking already. How bad is the leaking? I don't think it should leak at all, but I don't fill my tank to the tip top because I'm afraid of that. for example if I turned my tank upside-down, even with a new gasket, gas would leak.
I’ll definitely look for that then. I’ve seen those around and know what to look for 👍🏽
It’s just a light leak, not gushing out or anything. Now that you mention it… it does happen when I give a full tank. Last time I ran it down to reserve had me nervous and I decided the more gas the better you know? And it’s only when it’s at a 90 degree so that makes sense.

·
Registered
Cl350 Cl175
20 Posts
I’ll definitely look for that then. I’ve seen those around and know what to look for 👍🏽
It’s just a light leak, not gushing out or anything. Now that you mention it… it does happen when I give a full tank. Last time I ran it down to reserve had me nervous and I decided the more gas the better you know? And it’s only when it’s at a 90 degree so that makes sense.
yea You might wanna just not overfill it. that's what I do. you will figure out how much you can fill without it spilling when you turn.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts