Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
71 CB350.
I have had this running for 3 months now after a 10 year layoff.
This is my third oil change, first one for obvious reasons, second when changed to Rotella T, third one for starter clutch rebuild.

During the starter clutch rebuild, the only part that I found in the alternator where the starter clutch bits should be was one spring.

It runs good, having some issue with at high RPMs. I am currently working on replacing the condenser and rectifier/regulator.
After that, move on to the points/timing.

IMG_5309.jpg IMG_5310.jpg Attached are some pictures, this is what I am finding in the oil filter, metal bits.
Should I be concerned about how much metal is in the filter and the plug?

Thanks!

--Chuck

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Put a magnet on it, is it steel or aluminum?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think some where magnetic, some stuck to a very strong magnet but most stayed on the paper towel.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
You will get several different answers but those flakes have to come from somewhere IMHO I would take it down and find out where. You may get by riding the rest of the season but I think it will just get worse>

Bill

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Most likely the aluminum bits are from the cam chain tunnel, the chain must have been allowed to run loose at some time. That diesel spec oil(high detergent) motor oil loosened the trash in the bottom of the motor and it found its way into the filter.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
^^^I'm with Mike on the cam chain tunnel wear... that's a fair amount of aluminum. Make sure your cam chain is properly adjusted and watch for an oil leak in the area of the center of the cylinders, possibly coming from somewhere in between the base gasket and head gasket. If the cam chain wear is excessive, it can wear through the aluminum and allow oil to weep out

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I did have the chain replaced at a shop, I will check to see if they adjusted the cam chain. thanks!

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
You had the cam chain replaced at a shop? What else did they do, and how long ago was it done? (you mentioned 3 months since you got it running) If the aluminum is from the cam chain tunnel, they obviously didn't see the wear there and then didn't check the oil filter after what essentially is, at minimum, a top end rebuild and could have been a complete overhaul depending on whether or not they broke the chain and used a master link in it. Adjusting the cam chain isn't just something that should be done after replacing it, it's a regular maintenance item on these engines... which is why they often have aluminum wear in that area, people just don't understand the maintenance requirements

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I did not have the cam chain replaced, I had the drive chain replaced. Sorry for the mistype.

This all happened shortly after I got it running three months ago:
I was trying to replace the clutch cable and working on the bike with my son and we stripped a bolt on the left-rear crankcase [clutch] cover. I then bought a drill bit + reverse tap to remove the screw, the bit snapped off.
So, I was done and took it in to get that removed. They also replaced the clutch cable, drive chain, new tires, rear brake pads, clutch pushrod seals.

I will look into the cam chain tunnel and check on excessive wear.

Thanks!

Chuck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and also adjust the cam chain, set timing, check the valve adjustment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts