Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All

Does anyone know a good mechanic in the Chicago area who would be willing to teach me how to tune an engine? I would rather learn to do it myself vs paying someone to do the fine tuning ... I would be willing to pay for their time (within reason)!

Thanks Bill

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
What bike? What are you defining as "tuning"? Is it stuff like the valve clearances, cam chain tension and timing? Or are you leaning towards carburetor tuning?

Reactions: Rob Axel

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Dad ... very true and I have been "saved" by the knowledge in this forum more time than I can count! .... however, as I face rebuilding the engine for my CB500t, I can't help but wonder what I will miss because I haven't done this before ... I am certain that I will be reworking and missing things just based on inexperience that a little knowledge might have saved ... but I guess we all start somewhere right?

Krukster ... I have a '75 CB500T that I am trying to bring back from the grave ... it's been sitting for 30 years and was literally a barn find in Wisconsin. I have completely stripped it to the bone including the engine ... the valves are beyond repair (rust & corrosion) as well as the crank shaft (& God only knows what else!) ... I have the engine in pieces and just brought it to a local shop to have the parts bead blasted ... when I get it back, I plan on reassembling it ... will likely have to have the cylinder head honed (maybe bored) after that.

I took care to document / & bag all the parts pieces that I stripped off and I've watched the CB450 engine teardown / rebuild videos on the Common Motor site, but i am sure my untrained eye will miss something when putting it back together ... I know very little about tolerances / clearances, but I did download the torque table that another member put in the 450 section for a guide when I do start reassembling ...

I rebuilt a CB360 a couple years ago, but I never opened the crank case .. still have it ... am planning on taking it to M&M Motorsports in Westmont to have it tuned correctly so I can sell it ... I have tinkered with it for a long time, but it has never really run the way I think it should ... again, lack of knowledge on my part probably ...

I'll keep my fingers crossed and take my time with the 500 ... if anyone knows where I could buy new valves for it, I would appreciate it!

Thanks Bill

·
Registered
579 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I have a '75 CB500T that I am trying to bring back from the grave ... it's been sitting for 30 years and was literally a barn find in Wisconsin. I have completely stripped it to the bone including the engine ... the valves are beyond repair (rust & corrosion) as well as the crank shaft (& God only knows what else!) ... I have the engine in pieces and just brought it to a local shop to have the parts bead blasted ... when I get it back, I plan on reassembling it ... will likely have to have the cylinder head honed (maybe bored) after that.

I took care to document / & bag all the parts pieces that I stripped off and I've watched the CB450 engine teardown / rebuild videos on the Common Motor site, but i am sure my untrained eye will miss something when putting it back together ... I know very little about tolerances / clearances, but I did download the torque table that another member put in the 450 section for a guide when I do start reassembling ...

I rebuilt a CB360 a couple years ago, but I never opened the crank case .. still have it ... am planning on taking it to M&M Motorsports in Westmont to have it tuned correctly so I can sell it ... I have tinkered with it for a long time, but it has never really run the way I think it should ... again, lack of knowledge on my part probably ...

I'll keep my fingers crossed and take my time with the 500 ... if anyone knows where I could buy new valves for it, I would appreciate it!

Thanks Bill
Yikes, that is a bit out of my league. I know there are several members on here that do a great job with restoring heads and boring/honing cylinders (that are a LOT better to deal with than machine shops!).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts