Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an Indian Chief On The Showroom Floor of my Granddad's Motorcyle Shop in the 40's.

here is one of my Dad (in front) and a friend on my Granddad's Indian Chief (a 39' or 40', not sure)

I've got more that I will add later

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
bill440cars said:
This is an Indian Chief On The Showroom Floor of my Granddad's Motorcyle Shop in the 40's.
Now that's an old school man cave! :twisted:

Pretty cool stuff. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Very cool indeed. What a time pill!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Chopper material!!! Get out the Saws-All!!!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I like how he stores the new bottles of coke next to the machine. Is that a lift for bikes and cars outside the shop? What are to do-dads on the back of the Indian?

Larry

·
Registered
163 Posts
Larry,
Thats where the Coke men always dropped em off at. We stored ours just like that too.

Yeah Bill? WHAT are those "hoop" lookin things for on the rear fender by the tailight? Any idea??

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
trublu said:
Larry,
Thats where the Coke men always dropped em off at. We stored ours just like that too.

Yeah Bill? WHAT are those "hoop" lookin things for on the rear fender by the tailight? Any idea??
I think that's a 'bumper' on those bikes..

Neat old pictures!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
trublu said:
Larry,

trublu's right about the cokes. The truck would pull up, unload however many cases and park them next to the machine and either my Granddad or my Dad would top off the machine now and then, as needed.

That was just an accessory that was available for the Indians. Kinda looked like a fancy rear bumper. They used to have things like that for the owners to buy and "(I guess) personalize their bikes with. They had all sorts of things like that, like; saddlebags, windshields (even one that you could pull up to make it full height or lower it down to the base of the unit), names in metal script, all kinds of lights and even light setups that had small individual lights on the spokes that came with a slipring piece that mounted with the axle through it and allowed the wheel to turn while having those lights lit. I know that there were others, but I can't think of them right now.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are some more a nd check the rear fender of my Dad's Indian and you will see the same piece.

This one is of my Granddad (in the middle) and 2 friends with their Chiefs (check the accessories on the front fenders)

My Granddad again, with NEW 1947 Indian Chiefs on his showroom floor

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JeyLux said:
trublu said:
Larry,

I think that's a 'bumper' on those bikes..

Neat old pictures!

Yeah Jason, That's what they seemed like, some protection for the taillights. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts