Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.
Bike: Honda CB350 Twin 1969-1970 K1?
My technicalskills equal 10 (scale 1-100)
Bakground:
Gonna change the front fork to a fork from a CB500 Sweden (550 US) and that rim is a 19”.
Rear rim is stock 18”. Also gonna add a CB350F gastank to get a little more width.
I am not interested in handling. Just the look. (See inspo-pic below) Gonna cruise in speeds below 50 mph and i good weather.

Question: How big Firestone tires can I put on that setup without changing the swingarm. What I might do is to raise the backend with slightly longer rear suspension. (340mm I think)

Thank you in advance.. // Chris
Picture below of the bike (blue one)

Attachments

·
Registered
556 Posts
If the photo on the right is your bike, don't **** it up. Seriously.

A bunch of engineers and designers spent years creating that bike and by some miracle it's survived 48 years unmolested... do you really want to be the unskilled kiddo that ****s it up?

Seriously.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Indeed, better sell the nice one and buy a cheap basket case/project bike.

While wider tires may seem better, using taller ones will make a big visual impact in the narrow swingarm and forks. F.e. if you were to use 16" or 17" rims, the outer tire diameter is often the same as on an 18" wheel (in such narrow dimensions for older bikes). So, the tire will look a lot bigger, but will not be that much wider.

·
Super Moderator
24,208 Posts
If you're going for the look of the "brat" picture understand that that bike bottoms the front suspension over almost any bump and the rear tire grinds into the seat at the same time.
Considering the rarity of a clean K1 anything you do to change the bike decreases the value rapidly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In Sweden even a stock bike like this isnt worth alot of money.
And yes I will be that guy who will ***k it all up.
If anyone will pay me $6000 for it it is yours!
Now I payed $1200

For you other ones accualy answering my question. Thank you.

·
Registered
556 Posts
$1,200 is a good deal. Would go for $2,000 easily in the US if it's really clean. When it's an unfinished pile of parts in ~6 months you'll be begging someone to give you $1,200 for it. Have fun!

·
Registered
186 Posts
If the photo on the right is your bike, don't **** it up. Seriously.

A bunch of engineers and designers spent years creating that bike and by some miracle it's survived 48 years unmolested... do you really want to be the unskilled kiddo that ****s it up?

Seriously.
yep, i say don't mess with it. find something rougher to do the mods on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Or I will finish my project. Have fun with the bike and accually use it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
DollyTrauma,
I've been watching this thread because I have been thinking along the same lines as you. Those big Firestones look awesome! Just about everything I've read on this forum and in other places indicates the general consensus is that those tires don't ride well, they don't steer or handle well, and are potentially dangerous. But, as you clearly stated, you're "not interested in the handling, only the look." So I'm going to go out on a limb here and say what no one else is saying, GO FOR IT!

I just bought a 71 CB 350 and am curious about how those tires fit, and what modifications are needed to fenders and swingarm to get them to fit, but I've not been able to find an answer to those questions (still hoping someone will provide info on that!)

My other bike is an FZR 1000 so when I want to go fast or carve up a mountain I'll ride that one, but, like you, I'm looking to build a piece of rolling art and I really like the look of those big tires.

Good luck and post back if you are able to get info on sizes and fit!

Good luck!

cafe3.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey! Finally someone who can their personal idea of what is good looking and not and acually answer my question! ;)
Thank you for that! :)

Those are exacly what I’m looking for. I got a stock CB500 -77 with stock rims and Firestone 4.0/19” in front and 4.5/18” in rear. Only mod is slightly higher rear suspension.
With that said, I can ride, cruise and handle my bike for the things I need (looking cool in town) with that said I will have to have to ask again to all you who cant put your opinion aside for what is good looking or what I should do with the bike and please just help us ;)

Add a pic of my cb500 ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
710 Posts
...for the things I need (looking cool in town)
Well restored vintage is cool. Improving the performance of a vintage bike is cool. These low slung, Dumbo tyred things are only cool to those who don't really ride bikes.
This is laughable, it's useless and worth far less then when the hacker started.
88D5DC0B-071A-4A14-96EF-9B33848B7A81_1517580459840.jpg .

It's your bike but you are wasting an opportunity if you ruin it, as your inspiration has.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
The guys who build bikes like that don't typically hang out on this forum. This is for real honda twins enthusiasts. And a handful of saints who have the patience and care to help new guys get their bikes running. Not saying they won't enjoy your build log. $, creative fabricating and trial and error. Idk if there's a brat bike forum.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Do the Ton is the cafe raver forum. They would be much more accepting there. And they've also probably answered this exact question in prior threads.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
The limiting factor is the width of the swing arm where the tire is. The biggest rear I have used is a 4.00 on a CB360T. You can measure the room between the tire and swing arm and get an idea how big will fit. You can go online and reasearch motorcycle tire cross section. Just leave clearance for adjustment. If you use pod filters the stock CV carbs will not work. There have been many on this forum who have tried with limited sucess. If you insist in making a good reliable bike ride and run bad have at it. Just pass the original parts on to the restoration community. An original bike is only original once and once they are gone they are gone. Part of the problem you are having getting answers is few of the folks on this site make custom bikes. I do not comment on things I haven't done. When you do that you are usually wrong and it doesn't help anyone.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Chris you’ve asked for help in turning your current bike into something that looks totally different to what it does now.
First off; you need to remove the tank, instruments, seat, side panels, air boxes, battery box, mufflers, and chain guard. You’ll need to remove the centre stand and drive chain and both fenders including the tail light assembly, And then the forks, triple trees and handlebars. You now will have the bare bones of your new bike; but the wheels won’t look right, you’ll need new rims lacing onto the old hubs to take the new tyres. Your 350/4 gas tank will need some work to get it to fit to over the coils and onto the current mounts on your frame. I’m not sure if the dimensions of the CB500 forks are the same diameter as the 350 so you’ll need to check the fit of the triple trees in the frame.
You said you were not bothered with the handling of the bike, so you can raise the forks in the yokes to get the look you want, with the lower frame rails parallel to the ground, and then fit your new rear wheel and tyre into the swing arm. You’ll find that the chain will rub on the new tyre so you will need to lace the rear hub offset to the right to get the clearance. The rear brake torque arm and operating rod will also need bending to clear the right side of the tyre; the trade off there though is reduced braking efficiency as the brake rod is trying to straighten itself when you apply the rear brake, but you won’t be going fast so that’s not a problem.
Have you decided to keep the electric starter or junk it, save weight and just use the kicker? You’ll need to put the battery somewhere as it lives under the seat. It shouldn’t be too difficult to make a new battery tray that will look better than the old one.
Look forward to hearing how you get on with this build, you should be able to finance it by selling all the parts you took off the old bike, there are people out there who are on the lookout for good quality used spare parts.
Also you know the bike in your top picture that you want your bike to look like is not a 350 but it’s either a CB450 or CB500 twin, and that fitting the front end from the CB500/550 will mean you now have a disc front brake?
Nigel.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I just thought: you would look Uber Cool �� just riding the bike you’ve got with out changing anything! Just get a leather jacket; aviator shades and a Jet Helmet; dragging jeans and corps boots. Instant Chick magnet!

·
Registered
506 Posts
That is a really nice CB350K1 (prob the best looking CB350 year, would kill for one of them in that condition in candy red)

All it needs to look good is maybe a smaller tail light and turn signals, some dunlop K70 tyres, maybe some renthal superbike bars, honestly I'd keep that tank too because it is one of the best looking stock tanks and it has great paint. If you must have firestones get the Firestone ANS, you'll be able to fit a 4.5x18 on the rear and a 4.0x19 on the CB500 front end. The stock rims are a little too small so the tyres will be really tall so you won't be carving up any mountain passes but fine for a trip to the cafe.

Try not to cut up those really nice stock parts or the frame if you can. That tank and side cover combo is mint and in really good condition and quite valuable. The fenders also. Try not to chop the frame at all so it can be returned to stock if you ever decide to sell it. You can get a custom seat on there without chopping anything. Remove what you must but keep the chopping to a minimum.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okey..

I understand your guys frustrasion. I will save all parts and buy parts in worst shape then before to be able to restore it to stock.

I am grateful for all the heads-up and opinions you giving me.

I will take a step back and think about it.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I don't know that it's frustration as much as it's the appreciation and respect most of us here have for the vintage aspect of our twins and the value of such a rare find as you have - an original survivor after all these decades, one most of us would love to have found ourselves - and how priceless it can be if either cleaned up mechanically and kept as is with all patina in place, or fully restored to its original (and very collectible) condition. Have a look at the attention a fabulous collection of these beauties can command:

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/3-off-topic/73345-david-silver-collection.html#post614425

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Okey..

I understand your guys frustrasion. I will save all parts and buy parts in worst shape then before to be able to restore it to stock.

I am grateful for all the heads-up and opinions you giving me.

I will take a step back and think about it.
Im a fan of modded bikes. Im also a fan of leaveing good examples alone. If you can get a nice unmolested 50yr old machine for $1200. You should be able to buy some else project for $600. Seems a shame since your bike seems pretty original
But at the end of the day if you want take your $1200 bike add a grinder and couple of hundred dollars of brat mods to end up with a $600 bike thats your business.
The tire size is dictated by rim size. You can fit bigger tires to bigger rims up to a point where they rub against the frame /forks. Of course the handling and acceleration will be out rubbish well before that.
Heres a link about Coker tires on 450's http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/59-tires-wheels-brakes/30866-brat-pack-coker-tyres-how-big-can-i-go-cb450-k6.html
If it was me id find a bare 350 frame and swing arm
Go to town with whatever front end swap, wheel build grind down mod...... Then simply swap the engine out when your moded fram is done.

Oh and just to be clear
This isnt a cb350, its a dohc 450?
88D5DC0B-071A-4A14-96EF-9B33848B7A81_1517580459840.jpg

This is a STOCK cb350
232C12E1-ED81-496A-B948-7FDF6FF8DA1A_1517580479448.jpg

and your cb500 ISN'T stock
Its got a modified seat, eletrics, paint, no air filters or side covers etc
61FEEF48-FA3E-41B4-910C-9BE7EE973CDE_1517665906999.jpg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts