Honda Twins banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, so I'm posing a question that you've all probably heard been asked 100 times over. It would seem from what I've read online, people have mixed opinions about this. Its time to replace the chain on my CB250, I'll be ordering one soon. My question is: When it comes to ordering a chain, would I be safe buying a chain with a clip style master link? I've read a few stories of people running clip style chains and having no issues at all, and also stories of people who have thrown their chains after only 10 road miles of having it installed. The price difference between a clip chain versus a rivet chain isn't super big, but i know the proper tool for a rivet link can be a little pricey.

Since there aren't any negative arguments for rivet chains, i guess im looking for real world experiences from people who run clip style links. Is there anyone out there who has never had issues with that clips? I do my own work on my bike, so if i go with the rivet chain, i would buy a rivet tool, hence my desire to save a few $$, if at all possible (That being said, safety is still #1, and I dont want to put myself in danger, or anyone else, should i throw a chain at 60mph).

A penny for your thoughts...

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
635 Posts
40 odd bikes over 40 years; nearly all had chains with clips, though one was a shaft drive, only three had riveted chains. Only one; a 250N had any chain problems. They (clips) have been in use for over 100 years so I don't expect you to have too many problems, but you never know.....We all have that one friend...
Water Metal Auto part Bicycle part Macro photography

Reactions: Captnorm30

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
In my understanding of clip master link failures the root cause is incorrect orientation of the open end of the clip. "Fish swim down stream" is a pretty common phrase in threads on this subject. If the closed end of the clip leads, and the open end trails, your clip is installed correctly. I've heard some theory on clip failure that supposed the clip could have rubbed the chaingaurd while backing the bike up, and knocked the clip loose. I've had clip masters on each of my bikes, although my stats pale in comparison with present company.

I'll be running a clip master link on my 250 NH as well when it's done.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
What they all said ^^^

Clips, when installed properly and in the right orientation should never come off. I have never had any issues with them in over 30 years of riding.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
All this love for the clip drive chain... What about clip cam chain???
Good question. That is something I am mulling over currently. The idea of trailing a new "unlinked" cam chain with master link from to follow the old cam chain is very attractive compared to splitting the cases.

I am worried about being a noob and installing the master link improperly and causing catastrophic damage...

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Honda used clip type master links on the cam chains in several engines, I have never seen any fail. Just make sure that the clip is snapped on completely and orientated in the correct position of rotation.
TOOLS

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Clip style master links on the cam chain depend on model. The 450/500 DOHC must use a rivet master. The clip will not fit through the chain guides.
I have never lost a master link on the drive chain but i always carry a spare and there are a couple in my too box. Once i saw a guy on a dirt bike throw a drive chain going through a creek. It seemed like he looked for the master link for hours. In the end i believe his chain was not properly adjustdd.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I stand corrected. The cam chain from CMC is a rivet/press-fit style master.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts