Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have 2 Honda Hawks. Each have been setting for over 10 years.
The price was right for my extreemly small budget and I figure between the two I could get something on the road.
The biggest problem I see so far is the brake fluid had dried up and turned to dust, and like a hard candy coating. Both bikes have the same problem.
I haven't figured out yet how the master cylinder comes out of the housing.
Next question will be how can I get the lines cleaned out?
I'm sure you guys can help me with this from all of the great input I have seen here.
I understand 1978 CB400TII and 1980 CB400T are not your focus, but the master cylinders are similar I am fairly sure.
Any other tips or advice on what I can look forward to would be great.
1978 CB400TII (No Title) was in the middle of getting the engine replaced when shop went out of business. Presumably good engine. Beutiful bike minus exhaust, ignition switch, chain, shifter, breather assembly.
1980 CB400T Titled. Was able to fire up after major carb cleaning.
Valves knock at low RPM. Oil leaks onto exhaust. Since it was parked on the very edge of the covered patio, it looks quite weathered.
This will be a fun project, and with a small budget it will last a long time to boot.

Thanks

Sam

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Depending on the condition of the MC it may be worth just getting a new one. tbpmusic posted a nice looking inexpensive one on eBay in the Parts for Sale section: http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1478

Also, if it was me I'd replace the lines. Thinking they would be a pain to clean and you'd never know if they were totally clean. Risk of getting a blockage and then no brakes. I bought a braided SS one last year for my KZ from Z1 Enterprises. Nice looking and not expensive. If you do decide to clean them though, make sure you blow some compressed air through them to ensure they are clear.

Great to see another '80 400T, I just picked one up two weeks ago. Maybe we can overtake all these 360's popping up :D Look forward to seeing your progress. I'll be posting mine.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you want to take the plunger out you need to remove the brake lever, rubber boot and then come up with a way to remove the snap ring. I ended up using 2 small screwdrivers since my snap ring pliers wouldn't get down in there far enough. At that point the spring in there should push the rest of it out. Our 79 CM400T had the same issue.

Ours looked like this under the cover....

I used a quart of denatured alcohol cleaning the MC and the caliper and line. Our caliper piston was seized and corroded. I ended up replacing the master cylinder cup, master cylinder rebuild kit, caliper piston, piston seal, and piston boot. The plastic cup was $35 and the rebuild kit was $25. I say jump on the ebay MC it will be cheaper except you will be forced to get a new line if you have the same one we did since it screws into the MC instead of using a banjo bolt.....unless the line has the same thread as the banjo.

All in all I have around $160 into refurbishing the front brake system and I'm kinda non plussed on the feel of them. I should have taken my own advice above.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I stole the wheel and caliper/brake from a '79 CB400T2 for my 450.
Using the aftermarket master, it was a quick bolt-up, fittings were all fine on the old brake hose.
It's a single hose from master to caliper on those bikes, so it's longer than most of the old Twins had.
The aftermarket master has a brake light switch built-in, you just run your wires.

I'd recommend it to anyone - it's just too expensive and a giant PIB to mess with the old ones, and they usually look terrible too.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
tbpmusic said:
I'd recommend it to anyone - it's just too expensive and a giant PIB to mess with the old ones, and they usually look terrible too.
So does that mean you have the screw cap without scratches laying around that you'd like to part with? :)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
MNellis said:
So does that mean you have the screw cap without scratches laying around that you'd like to part with? :)
The 400T had a rectangular master with a lid held on by screws.
I have that one (trashed), as well as a stock CB450 master (don't know if it works).

It's one of those things I just don't mess with, I replace it.
I feel the same way about coils and such...........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts