Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the proud new owner of a 1972 Honda CB350 that was running but now won't start up. I am trying to track down the issue and am working on an assumption that I was hoping someone could verify for me.

My question is this: When the ignition switch is in the "run" position, if the electrical system is operating correctly, I should be able to turn on the lights, turn signals, and horn. Is this correct? Even if the bike isn't running.

I just want to make sure I am tracking the right system when I am looking for the problem.

Also, if anyone has any advice on things to check: I've checked the battery. Have a connection along the red wire into the ignition. Read resistance between the red solder point on the key switch and both spark plug boots when the key is in the run position. The tail light works when the key is in "parking" position but otherwise I get no other sign of electrical life.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
The lights, turn signals, horn, etc should all work if you have the bike key switch in the "ON" position, regardless if the handlebar ignition switch is on "RUN" or "OFF". You may also have a "on/off" switch on the handlebar controls that allows you to turn the headlight and running lights on or off.

Have you checked your fuses? There may be a short and they may have popped.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Don't over think this.. "air, fuel,(combustion), spark..
Air-easy
Fuel-easy.. use a "eyedropper" squirt a little into the carbs
Combustion..well, that should be a given, unless your rings disappeared
Spark--- now.. this is where things get fun.
First start and the battery and work ur way out..see if u have 12v at the coils. Remove the plugs and lay them on the head(good ground), see if u see them fire.. if so.. make sure they do it at the right time..if not..
even more fun.. points, condenser, could.. etc..
I would start with a squirt of fuel first..
Then chase that gremlin from the battery.. BOTH positive and negative posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all. I just got lucky and while jiggling wires looking for places to test, the power came back and I was able to locate the faulty connection.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Jiggly tests are the best. What I wish I did when I got my cl350 was to open and check every connector on the bike and clean them up fix replace etc BEFORE trying to start it. My advice to you if you want it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts