Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

So we all know that original air filters are hard to get and expensive, and the aftermarket cone shaped ones are a pretty good alternative. But, has anyone tried modifying the original air filters?

My idea is to split the air filter apart, so I have two sheet metal sides and the original paper element. Throw away the paper element, and place a round filter of proper diameter and thickness in between the two metal halves. It could be glued together like original filter assembly, or maybe drill two holes through the middle to hold the whole sandwich together. This would provide new filtering elements, and keep the stock look.

What do you all think?

71hondacbtwin

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh wait, I think I just figured out the problem. The filter would not be filtering anything, because the air box is not sealed, and the filter element would not be feeding air to the inlet tube. Oh well, back to the old drawing board.

71hondacbtwin

·
Registered
659 Posts
On my Bomber....I managed to get all the old paper off. I made a new wire screen and expoxed it in place. I then used modern foam filter material you can buy in sheets to replace the paper. Using a chemical proof epoxy I afixed the foam around the edges of the screen and for backup included two wire-ties around the foam. Judging by my plugs it seems to work very well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts