Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I am nuts, tight with my money, or just picky, but I am thinking about trying to make a fiberglass fuel tank. I have 2 cb350 that I am wanting to build up. Neither one has a tank or a seat. I have done some glass work but not much. I am just temped to try to make a tank. If I fail, I fail. But if it works than I could have 2 tanks for fairly cheap. The questions I have would be about which resin to use. I would also have to figure out the petcock as well as the fuel cap mounts. I enjoy customizing so this is something that I would love to try. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
This is exactly what I'm planning as well for my 350. I'm not too keen on the 350 tank so I figure I'll design my own, or at least give it a try.

As for resin, there are a lot of different views on it and I've not been able to find any definitive answer. I've heard different people recommend different types. As far as I'm concerned I don't think it matters as long as you seal it when your done.

Look forward to seeing how you progress. I'm planning on starting mine in a month or so.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need to make a plug of some type. I was planning on making it in 2 parts, a top and a bottom. Then I was going to wrap them together. I will keep you informed on what I do. I hope to start in a week or so.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Guys find an old tank where the cap and petcock bungs and 2-3" around them are close to the shape you want to end up with. Cut them from the old tank, glass them in.

Have fun ;)

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Shape the tank in foam (polystyrene) and form your tank around it using whatever glass and resin you decide upon. Then after the glass has cured, you can dissolve the foam with gasoline. I've read a couple articles on the net about making parts this way. Do some Googling and see what you come up with. It sounds pretty straight forward..

Of course, what you do with the homemade napalm mixture is up to you afterwards. Dispose of properly if possible. ;)

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point GB. This maybe a royal fail but I have to try it at least once. I bought some foam tonight.

rufusswan said:
Guys find an old tank where the cap and petcock bungs and 2-3" around them are close to the shape you want to end up with. Cut them from the old tank, glass them in.

Have fun ;)
I have one of of my old cb200 that I think I will try to use. The cap it's self is not in the best of shape, but that can be fixed. Thanks for the advice guys. It is all helpful.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is for you GB. I made a T-shirt cannon but I found some other fun uses for it as well. So.......foam+gas+compressed air+small flame=FIRE

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
Reminds me of my old spud gun..
...musta had some volatile potatoes GB.... :lol:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
Shape the tank in foam (polystyrene) and form your tank around it using whatever glass and resin you decide upon. Then after the glass has cured, you can dissolve the foam with gasoline. I've read a couple articles on the net about making parts this way. Do some Googling and see what you come up with. It sounds pretty straight forward..
I took GB's advice and used some polystyrene foam. I used a 16" sawzall blade in a file handle and a drywall rasp to shape the foam. Both worked really well. I then heated a section of 3" O.D. pipe with a torch. I used that to melt the foam for the under side of the tank to go over the frame. That worked really well and it was fast. the saw blade and rasp worked well but it took awhile. I cut 4 chunks of foam and used a small amount of panelling glue to glue the 4 layers together. I put an idea down on graph paper but I did not really follow it. I just started forming away. I don't have a picture of the the finished form, my wife has the camera. I will post some more pics tomorrow. I think that I am going to try to get some glass on it tonight.
[attachment=2:2qgs992k]IMG00142-20100615-1152.jpg[/attachment:2qgs992k]
[attachment=1:2qgs992k]IMG00143-20100615-1203.jpg[/attachment:2qgs992k][attachment=0:2qgs992k]IMG00144-20100615-1308.jpg[/attachment:2qgs992k]

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is the tank so far. I need to cut the old tank mount off the frame so the back of the new tank will drop down. I still have two more layers to work on to the tank. I also have a fuel neck and two petcocks to add. I am going to use the left side of the tank as the reserve, instead of having a hose that runs under the frame to the right side of the tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am glad you enjoy it. I have my doubts. But so far so good. I hope to finsh all of the glass tonight. I think I am going to get all of the foam out before I get to carried away with the fuel cap and the petcocks.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Did you Google to try and find out any info on the process? I'm not sure if fuel would be the best to remove the foam, or if acetone might be better.. Whatever still dissolves the foam while reacting the least with the glass work..

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
GB, before I started I took a 2"x2" chunk of foam and put it into a can of gas and it was gone in seconds. Another thing that I learned is that the resin will eat the foam as well. I started out by putting resin on the foam, then glass, and then I worked mor resin into the glass. What would happen is that I was getting low spots in my mold form the resin eatting the foam. So what worked better was wetting the glass with the resin before I layed it onto the form. That worked much better. I used fiber mat for the first 2 layers and then went with the fiber cloth type material.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Saran Wrap would've protected that foam for ya. Possibly even a paste wax. Hopefully when you pour the fuel in to dissolve the foam, it doesn't affect the fiberglass/resin. You will have to coat the inside of the tank anyway, with a sealer, but hopefully the glass isn't damaged by the fuel before sealing it..

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
Saran Wrap would've protected that foam for ya. Possibly even a paste wax. Hopefully when you pour the fuel in to dissolve the foam, it doesn't affect the fiberglass/resin. You will have to coat the inside of the tank anyway, with a sealer, but hopefully the glass isn't damaged by the fuel before sealing it..
Yeah, good point about the saran wrap. I thought about it but did not see the point if I was not going to use the mold again. But hind sight it would have made the finishing process much easier. I am going to try some lighter fluid first and then acetone. I read a couple different forums on this subject. both were mentioned. I am looking at lining it. There was a post recently on a liner. I am going to search for that post and do some research. There was one that I read about that was made by I think Caswell.
Anyway, I plan on trying to dissolve the foam to day and get the fuel neck and cap on. I need to get the petcocks in as well, or at least threaded inserts. I plan on doing some sanding to the shell, but I will use a fiberglass gel to do the main smoothing and then us a body putty for the small imperfections. I am having fun with this and I hope it turns out, but I have learned a few things that I would do different next time. For now though it is off to work.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts