Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While we've all got plenty of time on our hands to spend on our projects I'd like to ask the advice of those that have made their own gaskets. Before auto parts stores become inaccessible I'd like to pick up some gasket material, what kind do I want? I've also heard of using cereal-box cardboard for gaskets, will this work? Any pointers?

Spending money online and waiting a few days for delivery used to be fine, but now keeping busy every day counts. So please share your experience and know how, let's make some gaskets.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I have made some before and used the paper gasket sheets that you can get at auto parts stores. The gasket paper has been treated and has a waxy feel to it that looked to be oil and fuel resistant. They were easy to make and lasted a long time (well until I opened up the casing again and accidentally ripped them off LOL)

I wouldn't use a cereal box though since that material would absorb oil and fuel instead of repelling them, not sure how long a gasket made with that would last.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
I‘ve used this. I can’t remember the spec size but it measures right around .030” thickness. This was as close as I could find to the thickness of OEM. I had an original gasket set on hand and made tracings off those gaskets. Cut the line with an exacto knife. Worked well.

·
Registered
794 Posts
You will need a variety of materials and thickness. Last time I bought a mixed package I just about had a heart attack at the price. Not a wise use of funds and stay away from cereal boxes ....

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which one would you think I'd want for a clutch or stator cover? I'm working on CB250 Nighthawks but I suppose it's the same for most other bikes, right???

The cereal box gasket I remember reading about was on SOHC4, not sure what engine it was found on but someone had found a cylinder base gasket made from one. It hadn't failed but got replaced anyway when the engine was reassembled.

So the remaining questions are what thickness and what if any sealers or just clean surfaces and dry gaskets??

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Gents!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Not to play devils advocate, but I did once use a cereal box to make a side cover gasket for my KLR650. 13,000 miles later after riding to Costa Rica from Portland, NO LEAKS.

But also +1 on the karropak. That stuff works great.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I suppose in a bind you COULD make one from a cereal box and use it temporarily but I personally wouldn't trust it long term.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
I looked some more in the shop and remember I have used a gray, sheet gasket material as well for side covers. I do not have any manufacturers info included on it though. It measures the same thickness, around .030”. I did measure an aftermarket side cover gasket for a 450 though... .020”. So there is a difference. At the time I was doing all this I seem to remember reading several different threads and the consensus was that in most cases the difference of .010 wouldn’t matter. It might not be a good idea to use that logic on something like the cam journal gaskets of a 450 however where end play of the cam is a concern.

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
Only real time I have had issue which gasket thickness on bikes was with the cam cover gaskets on my 450. The ones that came with the kit I bought where too thin and of course jammed up the cams even without the shims so I made copies with some of the paper I had around. Both cams came out in spec on clearence with that stuff on all 4 corners.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wonder if file folders would work better? I'd probably want to soak them in warm oil before using.

But as long as real gasket paper is available, I'll start there.

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
Denser the paper the better it will do the job, I have made thin gaskets out of file folders before with decent success. Like for carbs and what not. They did eventually leak but for what they were used for it was not really that big of a deal.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Would it be better to soak a homemade cardboard gasket in paraffin or bees wax?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I have a friend who likes cereal boxes and rubbing them with candles.

It should be noted none of these are for the head gasket

I also measure stock gaskets thickness and use paper material to match

I also have cork which I used to seal a kitchen sink the other day

·
Registered
703 Posts
I remember homemade gasket making coming up before:

There's a post (no.46?) by member Bill440cars describing how to do it using the engine part itself and a ball-peen hammer to get the perfect shape :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
You can also use contact cement to glue the gasket to whatever you are working on and after it has set you can trim the material off the piece using a razor knife (been doing that for decades, a bit time consuming, but time is what we have now.)

Reactions: Alan F.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Not exactly what you're asking but after using them for years for work I ordered some stuff from McMaster-Carr yesterday for my personal use (socket head screws and washers) and the order came in this afternoon. Hard to beat (although you don't know how much shipping will be unless you contact them; from what I understand it's never outrageous though) and I think they have a selection of seals.

Not super cheap but not horrible either. And their selection is good... As is their website.

Reactions: Alan F.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
I make all my own.
Old used shell casings make great hole punches
Its easiest if you've got an old gasket to copy.just trace around it punch out all the internal corners then cut to them. Cut all the internals out first then just trim the exterior with a pair of siccors
I wouldnt use the pien hammer on aluminium parts but that's just me.
If you're making the head gasket you'll need to some copper sheet some jewellery tools and a bit more time but it's but that hard
The smaller twins section has scans of the gaskets so any can print them out as a template, perhaps theres someone here with a set of cb500 they can scan and post for you

1 - 20 of 21 Posts