Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The threads that hold the spark plug into my cylinder head blew out yesterday while going down the highway. IDK if I cross threaded them, if they were just getting old and worn out, or if the bike running lean caused them to get too hot. Probably a combination of all three. Anyway if any of you fine ladies and gentlemen know of a fix for this that is reliable that doesn't involve buying a new head that would be awesome. Or if any of you have a head you aren't using that needs minimal work to get going let me know. Until then it appears the bike is done for the season. Thanks for the replies.

Kyle

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
A TIMESERT is a Much better and more durable solution than a Helicoil.

AI Timesert will LOCK into the new threaded hole more securely than a Heli Coil.

Click on the link below:

https://www.timesert.com/html/sparkplug.html

It use a tapered top seat and the at the bottom the special insert tool expands the last few threads to lock it in.

It WILL be more expensive than a Heli Coil, but also more long term.
Lots of stories about the Heli Coil coming out with the plug the 1st time you change them.

Considering you will have to remove the head to do this correctly and not get metal shavings into the cylinder.
If it was me I would make sure it was a ONE-TIME Job.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
You can always try a helicoil first. Grease the tap and lay the bike over, plug hole down, so the shavings fall out instead of in. If it doesn't work out you can pull the head later for a timesert.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Heli coil makes an insert for spark plugs called Save a Thread. Used them before with no issues. Lots of videos out there on how to do it without engine tear down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts