Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1973 CB450 off of Craigslist. I pick it up tomorrow morning. The problem is the current owner says it's locked up and he doesn't have the keys for it any more. The key thing I'm not too concerned about for right now, however I would like to know how to go about unsticking this thing. Do I need to tear it apart? Are there any other tricks to use? He says he doesn't know if it is in the engine or whether the transmission is locked but it won't turn over. Where do I start?

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
Fill the engine/cylinders with penetrant and let it sit for a bit....... A 50/50 mix of diesel and tranny fluid works for me..... If it frees up, fine, it will be easier to tear down....if it doesn't, you would have had to tear it down as it stands anyway......This won't hurt anything but possibly seals, which should be replaced during any major tear-down anyhow.......

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it a PITA to tear apart? Besides obviously broken parts what should I look for?

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
First, get a manual...Then read extensively in the 450 section....pretty much everything you'll encounter is already covered there....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK guys. Got the bike home today. The engine is locked up. When I took the right cylinder spark plug out I could see part of what looked like a piston ring. I've been an automotive tech for years and I'm pretty sure that that is NOT SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN!! Guess next weekend I'll start taking the motor out of the frame. Besides the dealer and ebay where can a person get parts for these things? If I'm going to rebuild it I may as well up the performance while I'm there any suggestions?? I'm not looking for a full on race bike but I do want what every guy wants. MORE POWER!! But it needs to be streetable. Besides the engine are there any clutch upgrades? Oh yeah I might also need to stop eventually so I would like to upgrade the rear brake from mechanical drum to hydraulic disc. Can I do that too?

Maybe I need a whole different bike but this is intriguing so I'm gonna do what I can and I want to keep it.

·
Registered
659 Posts

·
Registered
7,061 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Well "outlawtrucker" do you have a name? :D Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase. These bikes are well built and can take a far amount of abuse if looked after. The engines are just like all the other engines you've worked on, but with a couple of interesting features, namely the torsion bar valve spring :roll:
Having a roller bearings for the crank and slipper bearing for the cam, can cause some issues when the engines are worked, as the oil pump need to provide high flow for the crank and high pressure for the cams. It does this quite well and like all oil pumps need good clean oil to work at its best.

There is around 500+ years experience on this forum and with "old silver" (have you seen his hair!) Steve leading the way you should have a good bike up and running soon.

As for spares, the US is awash with good and NOS spares, just have a look on ebay :eek: with prices at the lower end makes restoration/rebuilding easy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts