Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1978 CB400T Hawk. I’ve been working on this thing for years now and just when I get it running something else breaks. Last summer the kickstart spindle snapped and I finally got around to splitting the cases.

I am trying to avoid a total overhaul here as the bike ran good before this issue. I swapped out the spindle and am ready to put this thing back together.

When I split the cases the countershaft came out with the bottom case. I removed the counter shaft from the bottom case and reinstalled it with the main shaft (new oil seals) All the gears seem to shift well however if I turn the crankshaft the balancer weight is making contact with the main shaft during its rotation. Since I never removed the mainshaft I am stumped here. Do I need to tear this thing down more or am I missing something simple?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gear Automotive lighting Automotive design
Light Machine Gear Auto part Metal
Automotive tire Light Product Wheel Gear

The last pic is from the parts bike that I took the kickstarter from. I have been using this as a reference to line up the shift forks. The clearance between this gear and the weight is tight (.35mm) but everything turns freely when it set in the case.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Looks to me like the tranny shafts arent set correctly .Look to the right side and you will see small drilled holes they are made to set on pins in the case half. to keep the bearing from spinning. that pin will hold your shaft up.

Bill H

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was able to line up the dowel pins and get the tranny set but even then it’s still hitting that weight. I installed a new oil seal on the countershaft could that be holding it up? does the bottom case hold everything in down and in place?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
The bottom case holds everything in place .I have a full service manual and all looks good .At this point I would suggest removing all the parts you worked on and carefully put it back together looking for any thing that was out of place .I am sure its something simple, just something out of place.

Bill H

1 - 9 of 9 Posts