Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've managed to push the mainshaft index pin almost all the way into the upper crankcase while putting my crankcase back together. I took it back apart and while the mainshaft (other end of the clutch) bearing case does catch slightly on the pin, it's not enough to really hold it while I reassemble the case. This end of the shaft is where the case oil galley feeds the transmission and I'm afraid the bearing case will spin, cut off the flow and freeze up the transmission. Has anyone had this problem, and how do I get it pulled back out of the case?

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
squared said:
I think I've managed to push the mainshaft index pin almost all the way into the upper crankcase while putting my crankcase back together. I took it back apart and while the mainshaft (other end of the clutch) bearing case does catch slightly on the pin, it's not enough to really hold it while I reassemble the case. This end of the shaft is where the case oil galley feeds the transmission and I'm afraid the bearing case will spin, cut off the flow and freeze up the transmission. Has anyone had this problem, and how do I get it pulled back out of the case?
Well, if you can't get some vice grips or pliers on it to pull it out then you've got a little problem. On my 450 case, I drilled a hole behind the pin in the little bump that you see (it was drilled at a slight angle and be sure to center punch it first). After you drill a small hole, you'll feel it when it goes through, you can take a small punch and drive the pin out. In my case, I used my TIG welder and welded the hole shut but if I was to do it over again, I'd just use some epoxy putty or JB Weld.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of doing that too, but from the inside of the case, just underneath to pry it up. Going in from the outside directly above it sounds like a better approach since that way I don't have to second guess how long the pin is. I also thought about putting the case in the freezer and then heating it with a propane torch thinking it would drop out. I'm thinking that if the galley gets blocked by the bearing case, that oil is going to shoot out around the seal at the end. It's too low to grab with pliers.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
squared said:
I was thinking of doing that too, but from the inside of the case, just underneath to pry it up. Going in from the outside directly above it sounds like a better approach since that way I don't have to second guess how long the pin is. I also thought about putting the case in the freezer and then heating it with a propane torch thinking it would drop out. I'm thinking that if the galley gets blocked by the bearing case, that oil is going to shoot out around the seal at the end. It's too low to grab with pliers.
You can try the freezer/heat thing but there isn't enough mass to that pin and I doubt it is going to fall out. You are correct, you don't want that bearing moving around in that bore so getting the pin in place is necessary.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thanks. Had a 73 CB450 about 35 years ago. Was a nice bike seemed to have issues with big end bearings. Bought a parts bike and replaced the crank in mine with one from the parts bike. It knocked too.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, well that worked. Drilled a bigger hole than I wanted, I should have started at the top of the bulge vice near the bottom. Here are some pics to put in the forum if anyone runs into this problem.[attachment=1:3bto1nai]pin hole and oil galley.jpg[/attachment:3bto1nai][attachment=0:3bto1nai]pin housing outside case.jpg[/attachment:3bto1nai]

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts