Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 1980 CM400t, can't wait to start tearing it apart. I'll post pictures as soon as I can.

It runs (actually started right up after sitting all winter) and it sounds pretty good. 25k miles. Everything is there, just a little rough.

As I was checking it out the headlight went out, so I'm not sure exactly what I'll be up against in terms of wiring but something isn't quite right there.
Forks were soft but the rebuild looks very straightforward.

Overall I'm pretty stoked to get going on this!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great to see another 400 series here. Got any pics of it to share?

You'll need a proper manual for it.

PM sent.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Welcome John. What part of Maine are you in? I'm in Mass. about 40 miles from the border. I've got an 81 CM400C, if you're hunting for parts let me know, maybe I can help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll post pics as soon as I can, I'm going to pick it up Sunday. It was snowing/sleeting on Monday when I bought it and there was still quite a bit of snow on the ramp to the barn.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome John. What part of Maine are you in? I'm in Mass. about 40 miles from the border. I've got an 81 CM400C, if you're hunting for parts let me know, maybe I can help.
I'm in central Maine, Madison area.

I may need a gas cap, it has a simple one, I don't think it's stock but there is definitely something missing from the top of the tank, I've seen a sort of chrome bezel that mine seems to be missing.

I also may replace the seat, it has some small tears in it. I'm not crazy about the style and I'll never ride 2-up on this bike, so I may either re-foam/re-cover this pan or find something like a CB seat.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Central Maine is a hike from here, but I do get up there for work from time to time, nice roads up there.

For your tank, are you talking about #8 in this diagram? It has a "lock mechanism" to open/close the lid, but that's just for show, any key/blade/screwdriver will turn it.
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/1980/cm400t-a/fuel-tank

Try wiggling the Hi/Lo headlight switch left to right first, that was the root cause with mine, it needed some cleaning and tweaking.

I tried a CB seat once, it interfered with the CM's grab bar. There's a thread here somewhere where the member was cutting down the stock seat foam for a flat-seat look and adding a new cover, its been done and can come out nicely.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Central Maine is a hike from here, but I do get up there for work from time to time, nice roads up there.

For your tank, are you talking about #8 in this diagram? It has a "lock mechanism" to open/close the lid, but that's just for show, any key/blade/screwdriver will turn it.
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/1980/cm400t-a/fuel-tank

Try wiggling the Hi/Lo headlight switch left to right first, that was the root cause with mine, it needed some cleaning and tweaking.

I tried a CB seat once, it interfered with the CM's grab bar. There's a thread here somewhere where the member was cutting down the stock seat foam for a flat-seat look and adding a new cover, its been done and can come out nicely.
Yes the 'Fuel tank lid' is missing. The cap that is on there looks exactly like what is shown in the diagram you linked, it's just a simple non-locking cap.

I may fabricate something nice looking out of wood if it proves difficult to find one, or maybe just try a simple locking replacement cap that fits.

Thanks for the tip on the light switch, I'll try that for sure.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Let me know if you can't find one, I'll see what I have.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts