Honda Twins banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to find a reliable "exhaust on bike" picture. From what I've seen online (both MAC's site and ebay) there seem to possibly be two versions: one where the head pipes merge and then go to a regular muffler and another where the merge happens in the muffler. I wouldn't mind to buy one, but I want one where it merges under the engine and thus the muffler is replaceable. Can anyone confirm what it actually looks like?

MAC site which seems to be eluding to a merge under the engine and a standard muffler (which could be replaced).
eBay listing which would be the other style. I don't want this as it would make the muffler irreplaceable and I don't really like the styling.

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
I have the type with the two flanges in the muffler. Here is a pic.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
My MAC replacement mufflers are arriving in 2 days. I will have them on the bike less than 30 minutes after I tear open the package with my teeth and bare hands... and will post a picture for you.

~Adam in Dallas

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Crap sorry I didn't see this sooner. I do have MAC mufflers on my CB360, but they are not the FULL set, just the mufflers. Check out my picture for a better view. They fit on there pretty good.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Well, I never owned a MAC set, but they look very similar to sets from JCWhitney I've owned.

The JCWhitney set did come with collars to adapt to various sizes. You inserted 'em in sets to step down to the desired diameter. They weren't 100% perfect at sealing either. They were split collars to allow clamping, and they leaked at the splits, naturally enough. But, they were cheap... :D

If you didn't get the collars, I'd bet you didn't get something you maybe were supposed to?

As for the hangars, the bolts are supposed to slip into those sliding channels on the mufflers and be 'captured' so that you can tighten the nut from the outside. Bolts slip into channels and point towards the wheel. The sliding channel is what's supposed to make 'em 'universal'.

The 'L' shaped bracket, I think, is meant to mount on the left side channel and be a stop that keeps your center stand from banging against the mufflers.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
slickware said:
My MAC mufflers just came in, but I can't get the clamps tight enough on the mufflers to clamp them onto the header pipes. Do I need to shim them, and if so, what do I shim with?

Also, how the hell do I use these straight bracket hangers they came with??

brackets: http://lh6.ggpht.com/_CL1DPIW2-ok/TOGr0-YRAfI/AAAAAAAAAn0/zGPaaiIi86s/s720/2010-11-15 15.37.35.jpg

mount on muffler: http://lh6.ggpht.com/_CL1DPIW2-ok/TOGsQIZIO0I/AAAAAAAAAn4/mDlKDwW8VPs/s720/2010-11-15 15.36.03.jpg
I have MACS from the PO. There are no clamps and I am getting a little backfire from the leak. I am thinking about putting a slit in the muffler flange and then some mufler bandage to seal it. A couple of hose clamps should hold it tight. There is very little clearance between the two flanges.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Nevermind, I made up the mm difference with some muffler tape. Not classy, but it works.

Here's the new pipes on the bike:

·
Registered
16 Posts
i just got the 2 to 2 mac exhaust for my 360 but need some advice/help. on one of my header pipes there is that metal ring about 1 inch in from the end of it and i guess thats to help stop the stock mufflers from moving back further, but these macs it looks like theyre supposed to slide onto the header pipe about 3-4 inches right? ive been soaking that ring to try and hammer/allen screw pound it of and break whatever is holding it on or should i have both of these on both of my header pipes. every pic on ebay has the pipes with these little metal ring stoppers still on them, but just an inch of connection doesnt seem like much to use the clamp for. :?:

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
I don't have that exact MAC muffler but I can say that if you have the right strap clamps that inch is plenty. Mount the pipes on the bike and snug the clamps down just enough to hold them in place. Get the muffs where you want them on the bike and then tighten down all the bolts and mounts. Then tighten the clamps. One thing I will do one day us take a file or a grinder to the header pipes and get rid of the point that is on that collar around the end of them so the muffler will fit flush against it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
2-into-1 here. Fit pretty well but had to bend my rear brake lever down a bit. Could have been bent up in the first place however!

·
Registered
29 Posts
aaron7 said:
2-into-1 here. Fit pretty well but had to bend my rear brake lever down a bit. Could have been bent up in the first place however!
I had to tweak my rear brake lever on mine too. btw notice in your sig you have mk1 Mr2s I had a 89 4AGE one it was a great lil car

·
Registered
16 Posts
does anyone know if mac exhausts require any rejetting? right now running 68s and 110s....think itll be too rich? keeping the baffles in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts