Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I want to lubricate the clutch cable on my CB175,just wondering the best way to do it, and what lubricant to use.

Thanks Graham

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I cut a tiny corner out of the bottom of a sandwich bag, and tape it to the outer cable close to the ferrule. Then I hang it with some wire and spray a little cable lube in the bag till it drips out the bottom. You can leave the bottom on the bike this way too.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
That's a time honored method.

I use a specialized device that clamps over the ferrule end of a control cable and has a hole in which to insert the straw of an aerosol spray lubricant, it looks like this:

With this device I only use lubricants specially formulated for cable lubrication, they keep moisture out and keep the cable sliding freely, but don't attract dirt and grit which will shorten cable life.

I used to use WD-40 to clean out old lubricants first, then use penetrating oil, but after finding throttle cables bound up with rust in the spring I changed my ways to the specialized cable lubes.

Here's a video showing both of these methods:

Reactions: J-T

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm too lazy to remove the cable. I just turn the adjuster screw at the handlebar lever so that the slot is facing up. Then I turn the bars to raise the cable end a bit, pull in the lever and squirt some teflon lube into the slot. Pump the lever a few times to get the stuff flowing downhill and repeat. When done return the adjuster screw to its original position. I use this lube because it's what I have on the shelf.

ScreenHunter_01 Sep. 25 15.06.jpg

But you can do a better job if you take the cable off :grin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts