Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got my 1970 CB350 running but it was revving really high out of control randomly and I had to use the choke to bring the rpm's back down. I did some research and found out it was probably the lack of points lubricant. I ordered some Mallory distributor lube and didn't know exactly where and how much to put. I ended up putting a thin coating between the spark advancer and the thing that the spark advancer sits on, and some between the spark advanced and the lobe, and also some on the top of the lobe itself where the points rest on. I started her up and she ran fine with no high revving issues, however, I only could keep her running for about 3 minutes before she died. I tried to start her with no luck. I checked for spark and the left spark plug had no spark. Could it be my left coil just happens to go out or could it have been the lube in some way? Any help would be greatly approciated!

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
The points lube needs to be applied very sparingly..just enough to give some lube to the small points rubbing block which makes contact w/ the spinning advancer cam.I usually 'fluff up' the small 'wick' at the bottom of the points plate so it makes better contact w/ the spinning advance cam and then apply a bit to the end of that somewhat.
I apply a tiny bit also to the inside edge of the points fiber block part that's closest to the place that wears.
You may have got too much on there and fouled the points w/ it.

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
I find a business card inserted between the points gap is a good way to clean them...pull the card through repeatedly till it comes out clean using a fresh side each time

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the points plate out and cleaned and relubed it up with a very thin layer and ended up getting spark. Sweet! I took the carbs off to double check the float height in search of the high revving issue and found that the right carb float had a small hole that was letting gas in, so the float was pulling down because of the extra weight and letting in more fuel. Thanks for the reply's!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I thought I fixed the problem by changing the float but after changing it, it's still revving high, really high. I took the carbs off about 3 times today to try to figure out the problem. I thought I figured it out again when I took them apart and found the two jets on top weren't pushed in all the way to make a good seal. I put the carbs back and and it still revs high. I'm pretty sure it's getting to much fuel. I've taken the spark plugs out and they're blackened and these are brand new plugs. I rebuilt the carbs when I first got the bike because it wasn't running so the only thing I can think of would be the wrong size jets, but I wouldn't think it would cause it to rev that high (6,000 or so) would it? The throttle cable is adjusted right so I know it's not that. I've have both the air/fuel mixture and the idle screw set at 3/4 turns (3d carbs). The float height is correct (1.05 inches). Sometimes it'll idle fine then it's just shoot up without even touching the throttle and sometimes when I Rev it with the throttle it'll Rev and then just stay revved even after letting the throttle go (it's s brand new lubed throttle cable, so it's not sticking). I'm at a loss now for what it could be. Any help would be much appriciated!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts