Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've aquired a cb and a cl450. Now I'm mot sure where to turn first. I'm in the process of making a cafe racer out of the cb.
I put 11" shocks from TAS on a cb500 I just sold. They worked well.
I like the added angle lowering blocks give and thought about going that route for the cafe instead of 11" shocks. Wondering if thats a good or poor idea?

The CB has 8K on it and the CL has 12k. They both seem to have very good compression. I still need to buy a tester. What shout I get for a reading? Whats good bad or ugly.
I think 140 is factory new?

Did I mention.... I got them BOTH FREE!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... 787551960/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... 721658903/

I'm thinking that CL would be a killer dirt tracker! :mrgreen:

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
MINIMUM compression on a DOHC 450 is 163 PSI.... Normal is 180+... I have seen 215 on a fresh rebuild (although Honda says max is 213).......

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The way they roll over I think I'm there! Can I check it by kicking it over or is it a better bet to wheel it with the starter?
This is gonna be fun!
I'll bet I won't miss the cb500 much.

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
Also, I don't recommend "lowering blocks" on the 450... the 500/550/750/4's have a bolt-in "stopper" in the end of the swingarm slot that allows the back of lowering blocks to be securely affixed... the 450 does NOT.....If you must have the "extra" shock lean angle, run a longer swingarm (A modified 360 arm {axle slots enlarged for the greater diameter 450 axle} bolts right in)..........Personally, I'd run shorter shocks...
Steve

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right. 11" shocks from TAS for $80.00. I used these on my cb500 with good results. I think I'll rough this thing together and give the power plant another test. Just for fun! I have'nt hit every gear in it, so I should do that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts