Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awhile back, I bought a used, non-running '74 CB360T for my girlfriend as a first motorcycle. After my girlfriend cleaned the points and carbs, we found that the bike was just a little bit too tall for her to comfortably mount and place both feet on the ground. The stock shocks are currently at their lowest setting so I'm wondering if I can just get shorter shocks and if so, which ones do you guys recommend?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Well they do offer short shocks on Ebay but keep in mind that by lowering the rear it's going to throw off the handling of the bike. You'll want to slide the forks up into the triple trees at the same time more than likely. I believe the shocks run anywhere from $60-$110 on Ebay. Just be sure to buy the correct ones for your mounts. Clevis style ends or closed loop style ends depending on the bike model. I believe yours are clevis style??

I can't vouch for their quality but here ya go: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-11 ... C72%3A1171

Also, searching using keywords like "shorty shocks", "lowering shocks", "cb shocks" etc, will return loads of results.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
You'll want to slide the forks up into the triple trees at the same time more than likely.

How in the world do you do that. Do you just push down on the front end and they will move up or does something need to be loosened other than the fork bolts on the triple clamp?

I've also been rather annoyed with how much taller it is than my triple. Doesn't seem to handle nearly as well. I don't think i really like sitting that high anyway. Its comfy for me but at the same time i don't feel like a bullet cutting through the wind.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Yep, just loosen the top clamp and lower tree pinch bolts and slide the tubes up, then tighten down. It wouldn't hurt to measure how far the tubes protrude out of the top just to be really sure that they're equal. Although they should stay pretty close, I'd still measure.

You're handling will be affected in a major way, so you'll want to try and keep the bike as level as the original suspension setup did. In otherwords, lower the front and rear somewhat equally.

Steve may have a better explanation for you...?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
Yep, just loosen the top clamp and lower tree pinch bolts and slide the tubes up, then tighten down. It wouldn't hurt to measure how far the tubes protrude out of the top just to be really sure that they're equal. Although they should stay pretty close, I'd still measure.

You're handling will be affected in a major way, so you'll want to try and keep the bike as level as the original suspension setup did. In otherwords, lower the front and rear somewhat equally.

Steve may have a better explanation for you...?

Makes perfect sense to me. I may actually have a job at the honda dealer tomorrow. Hopefully i do and then i can get some steel piping and pieces of flat steel to make some rear struts. Not positive how to rig up the seat suspension but i think this is def something i want to explore. I don't want a chopper look with huge ape hangers but i would be happy with it being like a bobber. I guess i should also research how to make a seat pan. Really the hardest part for me would be to make it mount to the bike to where i could take it off if needed. But anyway no more thread jacking here. I'll look into dropping it a little as soon as i figure out the rear.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
sakibomb said:
I've also been rather annoyed with how much taller it is than my triple. Doesn't seem to handle nearly as well. I don't think i really like sitting that high anyway. Its comfy for me but at the same time i don't feel like a bullet cutting through the wind.
He he he....cutting wind.... :lol: .. :roll:

·
Registered
489 Posts
leethal said:
sakibomb said:
He he he....cutting wind.... :lol: .. :roll:
har har :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts