Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I recently lowered my handlebars from the roughly 4-5 inch risers to what I believe are 1 inch risers. The bars are already drilled for routing the cables and locking the assemblies in. However, it seems that since I put the new bars on the clutch takes longer to engage, in other words I let it out and it doesn't catch until its almost all the way out. Could this be because the cables are now too long for the lower bars? The throttle also is sticky as hell and I'm wondering if its because there it pressure from the brake cable pushing outward and its throwing the throttle assembly off. I'm going to order a new throttle tube anyways because they aren't too expensive. I ran into this before with the old bars and I partly think it just has to do with luck and lining everything up right.

Any input appreciated!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
show pics of your routing...

sometimes you can reroute the cables and use the same ones...sometimes you need to get shorter cables...the goal is to have no sharp bends or kinks and no big loops of cable hanging out to get caught on stuff and be able to turn the bars lock to lock without effecting the cable tension

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll post some later today although I'm fairly certain this isn't it because when I push the assembly over the last like mm or two and drop it into the pre drilled hole the problems start. Once I then rest the throttle in the assembly it starts to stick and rub in the wrong places. Otherwise before its in the proper position the throttle retracts properly and if I pull the cable without introducing the throttle tube etc. it retracts fine also.

·
Registered
755 Posts
show pics of your routing...

sometimes you can reroute the cables and use the same ones...sometimes you need to get shorter cables...the goal is to have no sharp bends or kinks and no big loops of cable hanging out to get caught on stuff and be able to turn the bars lock to lock without effecting the cable tension
This.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is he routing out of the assembly. It then runs bike left under tank. Looks to be a little extra cable down by the carbs. I could take the tank off and shoot more but once the tank covers it falls into a different place.

Also just realized that the bars are for a 450 I think and not sure if that matters but for some reason everything isn't lining up right as you will see in the second photo. There is an excessive gap between the grip and turn signal assembly.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I might be starting to put pieces together. The bars, grips and throttle tune were purchased from 4into1. I told them that I was using a 1970 350 but I think I've found that the stock grips and throttle tube for a 350 were shorter than a 450 (1970 at least). However possibly unrelated I'm thinking the throttle tube is just like a mm short and that's why it's rubbing on the assembly once I lock it down. The thing snaps back just fine until the assembly is in the right place and he tube is in the right place. I'm starting to wonder if the bars are just poorly manufactured and the spacing isn't right....

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
take the grip off the tube and try it again.

assemble things one at a time to see at what point the problem starts.

tube
tube with housing
tube with housing and cable
tube with housing and cable and grip
tube with housing and cable and grip and cable connected to carb
tube with housing and cable and grip and cable connected to carb and carb installed on motor

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
The throttle tube needs to stick out further than end of the handlebar. Otherwise the grip will drag on the bar. I used a replica CB400F bar on my CB450K5. I needed to cut about 3/8 inch off the end of the bar to get it to fit.
The clutch cable carries a petty heavy load. It needs to have as straight as possible run between the clutch lever and the engine. I only have experience with the 450, but the 350 is very similar. It very important to have the cable go straight into the engine case and the clutch lever perch. You will need to take the tank off and verify the routing is correct. On the 450 the cable routes between the carbs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The throttle tube needs to stick out further than end of the handlebar. Otherwise the grip will drag on the bar. I used a replica CB400F bar on my CB450K5. I needed to cut about 3/8 inch off the end of the bar to get it to fit.
The clutch cable carries a petty heavy load. It needs to have as straight as possible run between the clutch lever and the engine. I only have experience with the 450, but the 350 is very similar. It very important to have the cable go straight into the engine case and the clutch lever perch. You will need to take the tank off and verify the routing is correct. On the 450 the cable routes between the carbs.
Thnaks for the help! Im going to ride it to a local bicycle shop and ask them to chop a bit off. I'm pretty sure this is the problem because there isn't enough space for it to sit in the right place inside the assembly, everything is butted up against each other. I'll report back

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
take the grip off the tube and try it again.

assemble things one at a time to see at what point the problem starts.

tube
tube with housing
tube with housing and cable
tube with housing and cable and grip
tube with housing and cable and grip and cable connected to carb
tube with housing and cable and grip and cable connected to carb and carb installed on motor

You've now reminded me that when I had it all disassembled yesterday and was lubing the cables I meant to test the tube in the assembly without the cable being in the way! Crap!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts