Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last summer when I was running my bike, I noticed there was a lot of smoke from the crankcase breather after the bike is warmed up. The breather hose (luckily or not) wasn't long enough and after a 10-15 min run on the highway, I noticed a lot of oil on my swingarm and the sides of my tire. After rerouting the hose, I determined that the oil was coming from the breather and being flung off the tire. For ****s and giggles, I decided to put a catch can and see what's coming out of the breather. Surprisingly after a day of riding, the catch can had a tablespoon or two of water and not much oil. This was in the summer where I rode once or twice a week for a good hour or two. Oil has been changed at least 3 times within that summer and 3-4 tank of good fuel been through the tank along with stabilizer.

The oil is definitely a problem that will need to be addressed down the line, but I am curious if that much water is normal. I assumed all of it will just go out the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Two things you can do:

1. Compression test/ leakdown test.

2. Monitor oil consumption.

Increased water vapor from the breather can be caused by infrequent riding and short trips but it doesn't sound like that applies here.

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
Water condenses inside the engine after shut down. More so if you live in a humid climate. Just the nature of the water content in the air. As you have found it flashes back to vapor and boils off once the engine is hot enough.

I wouldn't be too concerned about it as long as you are buying good fuel that doesn't have water in it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Water is a byproduct of combustion. Normally it comes out of the tailpipe. Frogman is correct about the quality of fuel. I try to by Chevron or Shell and stay away from commodity gas like Safeway, ARCO, Costco etc. Another thing, don't forget the cardinal rule: "Check the oil level before every ride."

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Compression is 170/185. Engine probably has less than 2k miles on it since its been rebuilt by previous owner. I don't trust the numbers from the cheapo leakdown gauge I have but can definitely hear leaking past the rings. It was registering in the "OK" range on the gauge which was like 0-20% or something.

Not too worried, mainly just curious. Initially I thought I was burning up a lot of oil, but I rarely have to top off the oil. Once the bike is warmed up, there will be lots of "smoke" puffing out the breather (not a constant stream). I thought it was all oil because of my oily swingarm but surprised to see it was mainly water (or something that doesn't condense i guess).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts