Honda Twins banner

What's the best way to disengage from a project?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - I have a '75 CL360 I tore down and was going to rebuild or turn into a bobber, but then I found a super-clean '75 CL360 for too cheap, and I bought it. Long story short, I've lost momentum on the project. I'm realizing I don't have time to get it done in any reasonable length of time, and now that I picked up a clean one I've lost my incentive. I'd rather ride. L side.JPG R side.JPG

It is from Colorado, so hardly any rust, and everything was there. Any thoughts on what it's worth? It had about 10k miles on the engine. The gas tank has a bad Kreem application gone wrong going on inside so a bit of a project. Everything else is in good unrestored condition (frame, exhaust, seat, electrics, motor, rims, etc).

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether it's better to part it out or sell it as a package? Everything is bagged and labeled, and I have a clear title in my name for the frame.
Thanks in advance,
Rod

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
IMHO if it's all there and has a title sell it complete. Might not be as much money as parting it out but a lot less aggravation and no left over parts.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I would encourage you to put it back together and sell it as a runner. If you part it out it can take a long time and there will still be things that just will not sell. If it is as you described it should just take a few weekends to do it. You will take a hit on it if you sell it in boxes.

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
I know I pay more money for a complete running bike than I do for a box of parts. There are plenty of Colorado members here that might be interested.

Sometimes it's about finding that spark again. Start a small part of the project and complete it. Then find the next small project and so on. Pretty soon you will have the bike done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd put it on CL, as is, for almost free and let it go.
You won't get your original money back, and more riding time if you get rid of it fast.

Just my 2 (hey, there isn't a cents symbol on my keyboard)

Ed
"71 CL350

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
If you've got a family member or friend that you think might be interested in putting it back together either to have a nice old motorcycle or just for the learning experience, why not make a gift of it?

ust my 2 (hey, there isn't a cents symbol on my keyboard)
¢

You can copy that. Or, if using one of Microsoft's OS, hold down your Alt key (the left one for sure, maybe either one) and type 0162 with your numeric keypad.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
If you have storage space, it doesn't cost anything to keep it.
You may want something to tinker with next winter.
I'm in Florida so weather is never really cold but stalled out on multiple projects.
Still have all of them and do something every now and again when I get urge to 'play with parts'

·
Registered
91 Posts
Had an '82 Yamaha SR250 that went that way on me... pulled the engine and split the cases to diagnose a driveline noise... lost my job, then lost time to work on it in the resulting job search. By the time I was working again, I had forgotten where I was. Sold the whole lot to a gal who rebuilt it with her little brother, and managed to get out from under it for not too much less than I had in it.

Oh, she diagnosed the driveline noise: stretched chain. :doh:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Since they are the same model, personally I would keep it as a parts bike. Vintage bike parts don’t seem to be getting any cheaper and even repo’s can be expensive. Then if you decide to sell the runner, you sell them together and probably get a better price.

Otherwise, if I was in the same time zone as you, I would probably buy it from you.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sell it complete to someone who has the passion to build it into his/her dream bike.
That way it won't just sit and waste away like so many others have/are.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Do you have any current pictures of it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Photos for your consideration

I took a few photos tonight, without moving too much out of the way. If you're interested in the condition of specific items, let me know. For now, I'd want to sell it all together. I'm not quite ready to start parting it out.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sc2jf83y2xhl3z4/AABO62NevpPc9px3Kl5ESQR4a?dl=0

The big-ticket items, like the frame, engine and pipes, are all in pretty good shape. One of the two heat shields is scraped up, and the other one has some rust pitting on the bottom side, but I had always planned to put shorter pipes on this as part of a bobber project. The main pipes are extremely serviceable, and I don't remember seeing any meaningful amount of rust. The frame and engine are both quite clean, and it only had (an indicated) 12,200 miles on it or so. The PO thought those were actual miles, but the title does not indicate either way. I had the carbs professionally tuned up, and I also have a few bobber parts that would be part of the package. That includes a Biltwell seat from Dime City Cycles, a couple of pod filters, and some slick stainless hex head bolts to replace the stock ones.

I didn't try to get a shot of everything. I'm mostly trying to show how I bagged and labeled everything. If anyone is truly interested, and thinks the package is worth $600 or more, let me know.

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
Man if it is that complete, go buy a 12 pack of beer and spend the weekend in the garage putting it back together. When you said torn down I figured frame and all non roller.

Price wise, $600 for a non runner in pieces bike IMHO is high. I paid $400 bucks for TWO bikes in about the same condition. Even with a title I wouldn't pay much more than 300-400 for it and that is just because it is a CL. Put back together and running and riding its worth at least double that.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Considering there is an assembled 74 CL360 for $200 here Honda CB360

parts bike, no title which wouldn't matter that much to me in Georgia, I just need a bill of sale and the VIN run by the cops.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I am interested but not sure where you are located. You said the bike was from Colorado, is that where it is currently?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Sell it - but don't list it as a 'basket case', list it as a 'project', and describe the 'state of the project' in your ad. This way, you are clear up front what folks are stepping in to. Move on from it, your ready to - get some more riding in and free up space in your garage.

See you around town! (Denver person myself...)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts