Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my bike was running, but being a bit sluggish.
Go over the usual, carbs, points, etc.
When I go to make sure my timing hadn't wiggled away from its ideal setting, I lose a little short of a quart of oil.
The bike was on its centerstand (not tilted, as I noticed some people do it while searching), and it was cold, and I know you're supposed to lose some oil when playing with timing, but the amount that spilled out seemed like it was a bit too much.
Its not a huge deal, as I'm trying to get a hold of a HondaMan ignition and am not going to be around to ride this weekend, so I went ahead and ordered part number 91202-426-003, a 12x25x45 oil seal.
So ah, does that seem like the right part to fix the problem, or should I be ordering something else as well?
Also, has anyone replaced said oil seal before? Anything in particular I should look out for?
Cheers!

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
If you lost a qt on the centerstnd, you had too much oil in...OR...fuel got into the oil, increasing volume....Smell your oil!....If fuel (gas) smell change it NOW!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oi, alright, will do on the smell check... although I don't remember it smelling any different from regular ol' oil.
My Clymer's manual is saying 5.9 pints of oil, which is about 3 quarts, which is also what I remember putting in the bike.
Are you saying there just shouldn't be THAT much oil down by the stator cover, or that having more than a quart of oil in the bike as a whole was too much oil?

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
I've never lost more than a few oz...... You DID remove JUST the round cover....Right?

IF you removed the entire sidecover, a qt+ is understandable...... :?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, just the 3 screws and the round stator cover.
I've adjusted the timing a few times before, so I knew something was up when I had to grab the oil pan, haha.
I smelled the container where I keep spent oil, and it didn't smell like gas at all so I'm hoping this oil seal fixes the problem. :?

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
MyAcademy said:
Yep, just the 3 screws and the round stator cover.
I've adjusted the timing a few times before, so I knew something was up when I had to grab the oil pan, haha.
I smelled the container where I keep spent oil, and it didn't smell like gas at all so I'm hoping this oil seal fixes the problem. :?
I must be missing something. What oil seal are you replacing to fix what problem?

·
Registered
636 Posts
to further this, if the bike is not leaking oil onto the ground with all covers on, you don't need to replace any seals. the alternator area has ports that join it with the rest of the crankcase, so the oil can freely move back and forth between those areas. there is no gasket nor is there meant to be one to keep the oil out of the alternator.

if you lost a sizeable amount of oil taking off the round cover, then really the only possibility i can see is that you had either too much oil in the bike, or the bike was tipped (the wrong way) when removing the cover. (or fuel getting into oil)

i am guessing that you purchased the gasket that goes between the main crankcase and the crankcase cover housing the alternator coils. you dont need to do anything with that one unless you are actually dripping oil onto the ground when the whole thing is buttoned up.

perhaps you filled up your oil to the dipstick mark with the bike on the sidestand? this would result in too much oil in there. if your oil smells ok, just put her back together and make sure you get the oil level right when on the centerstand and then monitor it. good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
delineator said:
...i am guessing that you purchased the gasket that goes between the main crankcase and the crankcase cover housing the alternator coils. you dont need to do anything with that one unless you are actually dripping oil onto the ground when the whole thing is buttoned up...
Yep, thats the seal I bought.
Thanks for all the help y'all.
Looking forward to putting it into practice next time I make it out to NJ!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts