Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took my 74' CB 450 K7 out for it's 1st maiden voyage since I purchased it. Ran good but as I rode it further ( several miles ), I could here what appear to be a clanking sound progressively getting louder as I rode faster ? Pulled over and looked for the obvious but didn't see anything so continued riding but shortly heard the same sound again ? So again I pulled over and checked to see if anything was loose and the only thing that stood out was that the chain loosened up considerably.

So this is what I'm concluding is that the chain which appears to be original ( 9500 miles ) is not holding it's proper adjustment and loosened up quickly ? It needs a chain anyway, so what do you Forum members recommend for stock set-up ? The sprockets appear to be good and not excessively worn.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I always change the sprockets and chain as a set; kept clean and lubricated, the chain should last better, because a worn sprocket can create extra force on the chain, as it tries to ride up the ramp created in the teeth.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rick, What size chain and length would I need ? Also, Is there a place where you would recommend to purchase it as well as sprockets ?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The length is 92-links but I can't tell what size chain it is ? Do you think an O-ring chain is necessary ?

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
530 chain, there's a problem with clearance with the o-ring / x-ring chains. Someone from the DOHC community will be along to explain.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
O-ring and X-ring chains are wider than plain 530 chain, and the chain rides very close to the lever pulled by the clutch cable. It doesn't take much extra width in the chain to destroy that lever, so you lose the clutch.
The spare set of sprockets and chain I have now I got from a seller on eBay, but a search should find other sources.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts