Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT OF ORIGINAL POST!

Left key on and bike is not running. No spark at plugs. Checked points and only one set sparks (left side set under the cover). Sanded the non-sparking ones with 320. Assumed they were closed and burned out coil. When I got the tank off and started poking around I found two wires not plugged together. The unplugged incoming male wire is yellow and is one of two wires coming off the points (left front of engine). The second wire paralleling it is blue and plugged into the dual plug in that comes off the RH coil via it's own blue wire. The unplugged female wire is coming from the ignition harness under the handlebars and behind headlight. It is dark green. They're sitting close enough to each other to look like they're supposed to be plugged together. But if I connected them it would be yellow to dark green.

Looking at the wiring diagram (which shows two condensers and not one and I only see one sitting on top of the RH coil), that yellow male that is disconnected should plug into the dual plug of LH coil. No wonder no spark!

I began by replacing RH coil and got spark on that side but not a nice blue. Replaced condenser. No change in spark. Battery is at 12V. The wiring looks correct. Went to check the other LH coil too but found no dual jack to put my Ohm meter on and instead found those two disconnected wires and am scratching my head.

I see no yellow connecting to dark green on wiring diagram.

So, first question:

Does the bike have two condensers or one (1974 last K model made which I think is K6)?

If there's supposed to be two, where does the second one mount? I don't see it or a mounting bracket. And, if there's supposed to be two and someone wired it for one, would that account for my unsatisfactory spark? It looks weak.

I can pull out the second LH coil and trace what previous person did and repeat it (bike ran before) or WHAT? Add a second condenser and rewire according to diagram?

Really was not expecting this...

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
You've got me wondering about the wire colors. A dark green wire would be ground, normally. If you have a run/stop switch, the power to the coils is a black/white wire; without that switch, black. The other side of the coils would be blue on one side, yellow on the other, and each should have a dual female connector. The dual condenser also has one blue wire and one yellow wire, as do the points. So, yellow coil wire to yellow condenser wire and yellow points wire; same for the blue wires. This is the stock wiring, but if someone has been making repairs ...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Okay all, I edited the original post. Did not think I'd need a wiring diagram to replace a coil. But two extra unplugged wires is not normal especially when one comes off the points. With wiring diagram in hand I went through what I saw and the two do not agree. Please reread my original post. I need help here. I'm not an electrician. Does a 450CL K6 have one condenser or two? I have one. Diagram says two.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GOT IT! Yellow dual plug in connection was under 2" of black plastic. Have no idea what dark green disconnected plug plugs into. I found wiring diagrams with both one and two condensers. Since my bike only has one, I used one of the diagrams showing just one. Worked. Solved in a minute. But when you first work with a diagram showing two condensers when you only have one... Well! Things go tilt pretty fast.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Are you sure that's not two condensers in one housing? That's the stock arrangement for the 450; a wire out each end, with ground at the casing.
In any case, it's good you got it solved - nothing like a proper diagram to diagnose wiring issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts