Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have a 500t motor that I began polishing. I've been trying to do some research on engine rebuilding, and having the hardest time finding a starting point in rebuilding this motor. Since I have no idea where to begin, I thought that the easiest thing to do may just be to completely strip the whole engine down and clean everything up, and then reassemble the thing. This would help me to understand all of the parts, and go over everything to make sure I completely rebuild the engine.

I bought this bike completely torn apart so I really don't have all of the parts for the bike. My intentions were to sandblast and powder coat the frame (which I did) and just rebuild the bike, buying all of the parts I needed for a cafe build.

Should I crack the case open and completely disassemble everything?
Should I get rid of the electric start and just run a kick starter? I will be rewiring the bike myself.

Are there any tutorials on rebuilding a 450/500t motor? I found a couple on youtube, but they are short and not sure if I trust myself to completely tear the motor apart following these videos.

I purchased a complete engine gasket kit, and a new bolt/washer kit.

I misplaced the top end and cylinders/pistons. Will have to search for those!

I appreciate all of your feedback! (I apologize for my photos being turned sideways, new to posting images here!)

IMG_2538.jpg IMG_2540.jpg IMG_2539.jpg IMG_2537.jpg

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
You're already this far so you may as well tear it down to give it a thorough cleaning. Find a fsm. the valve train can hold some surprises so best to ask before you commit to any major work there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're already this far so you may as well tear it down to give it a thorough cleaning. Find a fsm. the valve train can hold some surprises so best to ask before you commit to any major work there.
Appreciate the advice, this is what I was thinking as well. What’s an fsm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
There is also a series of videos on youtube from common motors that will walk you through an engine tear down for a CB450 which is essentially the same as the 500T
There are a few things they do that I wouldn't (like separating the cylinder covers with a chisel) but overall they're good for references.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gotcha, yeah these were the videos I watched that made me feel like I should just disassemble the motor. Appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts