Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,
new to forum and vintage hondas sort a ducati guy but need something more reliable for giro trying desperatly to find a seller of tires, 3.000 and 2.75. 18 inch that will fit and look period correct on my 1968 cl175 does anyone know of a vendor who sells same ? would appreciate response to my e-mail [email protected]
thanks very much,
jim colman

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
The Chinese tyre manufacturers (particularly Cheng-Shin) who used to offer "period look" , inexpensive tyres, have quit exporting to the US due to liability issues......
JC Whitney MAY still have some in stock, but I recommend better, more modern design tyres, even if the "looks" arent 100% correct......
I'm running inexpensive IRC "ZAP" tires on my smaller bikes, and they are available in those sizes.......Bridgestone has better ones in those sizes...... Period Pirelli tread patterns are being re-pop'd in modern casings, but I don't know the particular manufacturers/suppliers, and they are pricey....

·
Registered
325 Posts
Let's keep talking about tires - I need to get for my '71 CL175 (1971 brakes and 1971 tires are a slippery combination...)

Stock is 2.75-18 front and 3.25-18 rear so far as I can tell. Want a tire that won't break down entirely off-pavement (this is a 'Scrambler' after all - it will get dirty on occasion - my daily commute covers a few miles of gravel to get me to the pavement).

How much room have I got to go larger/smaller? 3.00-18 front and 3.50-18 rear would be a little easier to find.

It looks like IRC NR53 'Zap' is available only in 3.00-18.
Michelin M62 is 2.75-18 or 3.00-18 but most places sell only 17"
Michelin M48 appear to be available in 2.75-18 and 3.25-18 but Europe only?
I find web sites for companies like King Tire, Wanda, etc. but no indication where they can be purchased or what the cost would be.

Sounds like 80/90-18 will work on the front, and 90/90-18 will work on the rear - 100/90-18 MIGHT work.
The cost of Avons in this size makes me gasp - and they probably wouldn't pass our safety inspection ("Off road only, not DOT approved")

edit: just got an email from my local supplier -
275x18 Chen Shing C186 (dual purpose) $ 42 CDN
350x18 C186 $59 CDN

These are a 70s style trials tire (block tread but still ok for street) like dual purpose bikes at the time came with.
So will a 350 fit on the back do you think?

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
...I have recently installed a "ZAP" tire in 2.50 X 18 on (the 350 front-wheel on) my C200 (90cc).......I have a matching 2.75 X 17 on the rear..... With only 4 ply (load range B) rating, they are correct for that bike size/weight.... and would still be adequate on a CB/CL/CD 175..... Many sizes/brands are actually available, just not carried in stock by the local shop/distributor......
The K3 and earlier CL 175's had 2.75 fronts, 3.00 rears stock.....
The K4 and later 175's had 3.00 size on both ends.....

Be careful when converting to metric sizing... AN 80/80 is actually slightly larger (wider) than a 3.00 tire.... A 90/90 is larger than a 3.50 size, and a 110/ is about the same as a 4.00 width tire And please remember, rim width does affect mounted tire height and width as well...

·
Registered
325 Posts
66Sprint said:
The K3 and earlier CL 175's had 2.75 fronts, 3.00 rears stock.....
The K4 and later 175's had 3.00 size on both ends.....
Ah! I have a K5 - so you're saying stock would have been 3.00 front and rear? The resources I've found don't necessarily agree with each other... 3.00 on each end is easy.

Here's another option;

http://www.bikebandit.com/product/9877 Shinko 244 dual sport available in 3.00-18

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
That was from one resource I have... Not 100% sure it is accurate, but those sizes would be in the correct size range for the rim size/ bike weight.....and I would have no qualms running that size tires on my own bike.... I do tend to run thinner, smaller tires on the front of my bikes, but that is simply personal preference....Intended purpose, rider weight, and riding styles DO vary.... :lol: ....

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm a decent sized fellow (6'3"@200lbs) and I'd be riding my 40-mile round trip daily commute, half gravel (nasty potholed gravel at that) and half city streets. I think maybe slightly larger might be good for me - I can get the Cheng Shin C180 in 300 and 350 (front/rear and I'm thinking that might be cool - they have a vintage looking tread.

I did the trip all last summer on my C70 Passport so I'm looking forward to the upgrade to the 'big' bike!

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Even @ 200, I'd recommend you stay with 3.00's on both ends... that extra little bit of height can really throw off putting it up on the centerstand.... JMHO... Steve

·
Registered
325 Posts
I think 3.00 on both ends, Cheng Shin C180 is the plan.

This gentleman seems to have a good stock of C117/C180 (similar to the original-type tread for CLs) in various sizes: [email protected]

I have a pair of 300s on the way....

Interesting that the shop manual and original brochures both say K5 should have 300-19 on the front, but mine is definitely 18.

Nice K5 brochure:

http://www.spookytoms.com/Brochures-CL175K5.html

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
My 71 CL also has a stock (original) 18" wheel, even though the brochure and my Chilton's says it's a 19"... That has always been an interesting discrepancy to me.....The '71 SL's DID have a 19" wheel, but smaller SLS brakes......

·
Registered
325 Posts
I can recommend Bill Gray at [email protected]

He delivered to me a pair of new Cheng Shin C180 with rim strips and new tubes for $114.

The stuff was shipped out the day after I PayPal-ed him, and the communication was perfect.

He also owns a '68 CL175...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts