Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Finding one in good condition might be a challenge... the linkage parts wear out and they get tossed instead of repaired. You might end up with a set that needs refurbishing

·
Registered
756 Posts
A CB350F shift lever works perfectly and eliminates the linkage, if you're not concerned about being bone stock.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This bike already has a direct shift lever (not sure where it’s from). It’s a bit too far away from the peg for my wife. So I guess what I’m really looking for is a shorter shift lever. It doesn’t have to be the original, although I heard those were shorter.?
The one currently on the bike is 5 1/2 inches to the center of the shift lever from the front of the peg.

·
Registered
756 Posts
The 350F lever, IIRC, is almost identical to the original length of the linkage. I've got one laying around and can measure it for you if you like, although I won't be back to my stuff for another 2 weeks.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
The advantage of the OEM shifter with the linkage is not only that the toe part sits closer to the footpeg, but the lever is longer overall because the pivot for it is behind the shift shaft so it provides more leverage and makes shifting easier. The down side of the OEM lever is the slop that accumulates in it from wear over the years at the two joints. If the joints were replaced with heim joints it would last longer and have a tighter feel, but Honda didn't do that then (if heim joints even existed then, not sure)

·
Registered
756 Posts
Although since the two downward connectors on the linkage are the same length, a longer shifter shaft means that yes, it's easier to shift, but the lever has to move more distance in order to shift. Doesn't it? I for one haven't had problems with shifters on these bikes without linkages being to tough to shift.

·
Registered
756 Posts
ksmith, I imagine you could get a regular shifter without linkage, cut it and weld it to the length she wants without much hassle, but ancientdad is right too regarding length.

Reactions: ksmith0034

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I had a one-piece lever on mine for over 40 years after breaking the linkage lever in an accident back around 1973. I recently found all the linkage parts and bought a nice shift lever on eBay to complete the setup. The joints were a little worn (I greased them well when I put it back together), but man, the shifting sure is easier and smoother with the OEM setup.

I'm sure a decent assembly will show up for sale if you're patient, and it may be possible to buy two so-so ones and combine the best parts to make one good one. From what I found in my search, rust is probably more of a problem than wear is.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I was looking at some pics of my bike with the OEM shift linkage and with the one-piece shift lever, and it looks like the OEM one positions the peg somewhere around 3/4" closer to the footpeg. Hard to tell an exact distance from just looking at my photos, but the OEM one is definitely closer. I can dig the old shifter out this Friday and give you an exact measurement if you like, but there's no guarantee that our one-piece shifters are the same. Here's the OEM one...

Shift Linkage.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts