Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'd like to lift up my Bomber to work on it without squatting down or sitting on the floor. I've looked at a couple of motorcycle jacks but it looks like I'd be lifting the bomber under its exhaust pipes. The lifts that have a platform for the whole bike are too expensive and would take up a lot of floor space. Does anyone have a different method for lifting a whole bike? Maybe something homebuilt.

Thanks!
John

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Johnzmg
I have seen people use a bench made from plywood and 2 X 4s. You would need a ramp and a buddy to put the bike on the bench and take it off. You can design the bench to fit your bike and your space. Maybe you could scrounge the 2 X 4 and plywood. Depending on the size of the bike and the size of the buddy you might not need the ramp.
TomC in Ohio

·
Registered
86 Posts
I made something similar to this: http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8&hilit=+table

I made mine only about 2.5 feet tall, which allows me to work on the handlebars without standing on something but still keeps the engine/wheel area easily accessible while I'm sitting on a rolling chair. The main reason I made the table was so that the bike could be easily moved around the shop without messing up what I'm working on.

When not in use, I figure the table can be stood on end to take up less floor space.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Bench Lovers
The bench in the link looks good to me. I like the shelve space under the bench. If one would put ONLY parts that have to do with the project on the bench on the shelve life would be much simpler.
Casters would help in my garage. Were I am working there is room to work on one side of the bike. If I had a bike bench with casters I could push the bench to one side or the other of the space.
TomC in Ohio

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
TomC said:
Hi Bench Lovers
The bench in the link looks good to me. I like the shelve space under the bench. If one would put ONLY parts that have to do with the project on the bench on the shelve life would be much simpler.
Casters would help in my garage. Were I am working there is room to work on one side of the bike. If I had a bike bench with casters I could push the bench to one side or the other of the space.
TomC in Ohio

I built this about 25 years ago and has ben used for countless projects. Really simple, three shelves the same size and some angle, I found the shelves at work in the bin and the angle was the support leg for a multi level shelving system, 4 good quality heavy duty castors, some bolts and 25 years later still my favorite work shop bench

Rod from OZ :evil:

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
John, I use a cheap ($100) hydraulic bike lift from harbour freight, a couple straps to hold it on, and sit on a milk crate.........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts