Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a shot in the dark here. And just to clarify, all I really need is the two black screws that hold the face plate in place. I'm having a heck of a time finding them anywhere. If I find the right size, they're not black. If I find black, they're either the wrong size or the wrong type. Smallest I can find in hardware stores is M3 (not black, either), and I'm told these are M2. I'm about to resort to trying ebay, but I don't need 50 of them...especially if they're not the right size.

Thanks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. PM sent, sharkmonkey. Brent, yes, that's always an option.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sonofab*. Thanks. I swear I searched Amazon first. I ended up ordering these off ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/183962513359. May take a month to get here, but I'm not going to be riding for at least a month anyway. I got the 8mm length, just to buy me a little more time if they start shaking loose again. :) Maybe I'll get those 6mm length from Amazon just to cover myself.

·
Registered
584 Posts
It may not be a bad idea to use some red Loctite upon installing the new screws.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A little update. There's good news and bad news. The good news is that while the estimated delivery time for the screws I ordered (from China) was Fri, Dec 27 - Mon, Feb 10, I was shocked that they came in the mail yesterday! And now the bad news. They're the wrong size. I ordered the M2 and the screws drop right in without any effort at all. Not only that, the heads are so small that even in the shaft were the right size, the head would almost drop through the hole as well. So for the heck of it, I stopped by the local hardware store today and bought a M3, just to check it out. Too big. So now, I've ordered M2.5. Fingers are crossed that they'll work. Will let you all know.

·
Premium Member
1,917 Posts
I actually pulled a couple face screws from a junk speedo to send to you several days ago. When I got back to my computer, I saw that you had found and ordered some. If you want the two I have here, pm (conversation) me your mailing address and I will drop them into the mail. The diameter on them is 2.16mm; the under-head length is 5mm.

Ray

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PM sent. Thanks!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello, all. And Happy New Year. I'm finally getting around to updating this thread. I (and very generous Ray) thought it would make a helpful cautionary tale to all.

As noted earlier in this thread above, fxray graciously offered a pair of screws from a salvage speedo he had available and I anxiously awaited the mail every day until one day there in the mailbox I saw the envelope. Then my heart sank. You'll see why when you see the pictures. He even took the tie to put the screws in a plastic bags before putting it in the envelops. I'm not faulting Ray for what the USPS did; in fact Ray suggested it would be a good idea to warn others who might be in a similar situation shipping very small items. I guess there's a reason the packet of screws I got from China (too small) and the ones I just received the other day from MonsterBolts (too big) ship their items in bubble paks. Heed the warning, folks, and ship with care.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
P.S.
So I've learned that M2.0 are too small and that M2.5 are too big. Not sure where that leaves me but to continue my search for otherwise useless/salvage/trashed instruments that ideally came off a 1981 CM400T, although I'd like to think most Honda gauges near that era would be appropriate. I'll probably try to contact the vintage Honda guy at the local dealership to see if he has any ideas. And here I thought that taking the darn gauge apart was going to be the toughest part of this job. Little did I know.

·
Super Moderator
22,732 Posts
When I mail little things like screws I use a piece of corrugated cardboard and embed them in it sideways with tape to cover. I'll look thru my gauges again and see if I can liberate a couple of screws

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I know Ray feels badly about this, hindsight being 20-20 and all. I appreciate your checking your collection, Jim. I haven't given up hope yet.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
** Another update for those interested.**

I was just about to bite the bullet and buy an old but half-decent looking (at least the screws) tach off ebay, when I decided I had nothing to lose by calling the local Honda dealer. I explained what I was looking for and that I couldn't find the screws in any parts lookup I could access. She asked what bike it was for, put me on hold for a minute or two and came back saying "Yes, I can order those for you. It'll be $8.48 for the pair". Hell, I've spent more than that already buying the wrong sized screws either online or at the local hardware store. Anyway, I placed the order and will probably have them in a week.

Jeez. When will I learn that sometimes the easiest and most obvious way is often the best way?

·
Premium Member
1,917 Posts
Just don't let them mail the screws to your house in an envelope! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ha! I'm picking them up in person. :)

·
Super Moderator
10,253 Posts
There's always the chance that she (and whoever else involved while you were on hold) only thinks they are familiar with what you asked for... unless you gave them a part number, and I'm not sure they were ever sold separately. Here's hoping they know what you described!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess I'll find out in a week or so. And when I find out, trust me, you'll all know. ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There's always the chance that she (and whoever else involved while you were on hold) only thinks they are familiar with what you asked for... unless you gave them a part number, and I'm not sure they were ever sold separately. Here's hoping they know what you described!
And you were right once again. I got the call that the part was in and went to pick it up today. Not even close. So the hunt continues.

Next obvious question is whether it's likely that those little screws from any vintage Honda would fit. If so, there are several possibilities on ebay. Seems likely to me that Nippon Seiki would just use the same sized screws to hold the faceplace on all their tachs and speedos of a certain era (70s - 80s?), but at this point I'm losing faith in my own sense of logic. What do you think?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts